Why the JFK assassination records were sealed for 75 years
bigdog
2017-10-26 18:34:20 UTC
It was SOP for any government investigation as Vincent Bugliosi explains
in this interview.

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/41490

"I had heard that the Warren Commission sealed its records for 75 years.
That bothered me, but I have the answer now, and it’s in the book.
They didn’t seal the records.

The records were sealed, but it had nothing to do with the Warren
Commission. I found an old National Archives rule that when they got
documents from a federal investigative body, as in this case of the Warren
commission, they sealed the records for 75 years, which is believed to be
the normal lifespan of a human. So that had nothing to do with the Warren
Commission. That rule since was completely eviscerated by the 1966 Freedom
of Information Act, and the JFK Act of 1992. So the records were
originally sealed but it had nothing to do with the Warren Commission,
even though an average person who has any view of the case would tell you
the Warren Commission sealed the records. Archives representative said the
Warren Commission got a bum rap on this. "

The sealing of records wasn't part of any cover up. It was normal
procedure. That procedure has been gutted by the two laws which Bugliosi
mentioned.
Anthony Marsh
2017-10-27 13:41:28 UTC
Post by bigdog
[...]
Close, but not the whole story.
Not all files are sealed for 75 years.
donald willis
Going on 76....
bigdog
2017-10-29 01:33:58 UTC
Post by donald willis
Post by bigdog
[...]
Hardly. The investigation was completed and the report published in
September of 1964. It's been 53 years since and all but a few hundred
documents have now been released. The remainder are scheduled to be
released within 6 months, though some may be redacted for national
security reasons. The 75 years rule was discarded for this case.
Anthony Marsh
2017-10-29 22:06:47 UTC
Post by bigdog
Post by donald willis
Post by bigdog
[...]
Sre, sure. They were SCHEDULED for release on Thursday and look what
happened. What National Security interest does the government have in
who was wrestling at the Cow Palace?

security reasons.

Anthony Marsh
2017-10-29 02:06:55 UTC
Post by donald willis
Post by bigdog
[...]
2039 was the original release date. Another problem is what about the
HSCA files which were never part of the original batch and which
CONGRESS refuses to release?