Fine people on both sides
2019-05-12 18:23:32 UTC
All WC defenders are liars.
And all conspiracy believers are kooks.
But Trump would say that there are fine people on both sides.
So liars are fine people and conspiracy kooks are fine people.
That's one way that he never has to take sides and condemn one side or
the other. And Trump himself is a liar AND a conspiracy kook.
Here is the full text of his remarks about the Charlottesville incident:

In Context: Donald Trump’s ‘very fine people on both sides’ remarks
(transcript)

By Angie Drobnic Holan on Friday, April 26th, 2019 at 4:11 p.m.
President Donald Trump speaks to the media in the lobby of Trump Tower
on Aug. 15, 2017 in New York. (AP)
President Donald Trump speaks to the media in the lobby of Trump Tower
on Aug. 15, 2017 in New York. (AP)

On Aug. 15, 2017, President Donald Trump held a press conference to
discuss an executive order he had signed on infrastructure permitting.
Reporters shortly began asking questions about Trump’s initial response
to violent protests in Charlottesville, Va. It was at this press
conference that Trump said that "you also had people that were very fine
people, on both sides."

On April 25, 2019, former Vice President Joe Biden declared his 2020
candidacy for the Democratic nomination and the presidency by recalling
the events in Charlottesville and Trump’s comments. "With those words,
the president of the United States assigned a moral equivalence between
those spreading hate and those with the courage to stand against it,"
Biden said.

The next day, Trump responded, saying "If you look at what I said, you
will see that that question was answered perfectly. And I was talking
about people that went because they felt very strongly about the
monument to Robert E. Lee, a great general. Whether you like it or not,
he was one of the great generals." Trump also said he would defeat Biden
"very easily."

We wanted to look at Trump’s comments in their original context. Here is
a transcript of the questions Trump answered that addressed the
Charlottesville controversy in the days after it happened. (His specific
remarks about "very fine people, on both sides" come in the final third
of the transcript.)

Reporter: "Let me ask you, Mr. President, why did you wait so long to
blast neo-Nazis?"

Trump: "I didn’t wait long. I didn’t wait long."

Reporter: "Forty-eight hours."

Trump: "I wanted to make sure, unlike most politicians, that what I said
was correct -- not make a quick statement. The statement I made on
Saturday, the first statement, was a fine statement. But you don’t make
statements that direct unless you know the facts. It takes a little
while to get the facts. You still don’t know the facts. And it’s a very,
very important process to me, and it’s a very important statement.

"So I don’t want to go quickly and just make a statement for the sake of
making a political statement. I want to know the facts. If you go back to --

Reporter: "So you had to (inaudible) white supremacists?"

Trump: "I brought it. I brought it. I brought it."

Reporter: "Was it terrorism, in your opinion, what happened?"

Trump: "As I said on -- remember, Saturday -- we condemn in the
strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and
violence. It has no place in America. And then it went on from there.
Now, here’s the thing --"

Reporter: (Inaudible)

Trump: "Excuse me. Excuse me. Take it nice and easy. Here’s the thing:
When I make a statement, I like to be correct. I want the facts. This
event just happened. In fact, a lot of the event didn’t even happen yet,
as we were speaking. This event just happened.

"Before I make a statement, I need the facts. So I don’t want to rush
into a statement. So making the statement when I made it was excellent.
In fact, the young woman, who I hear was a fantastic young woman, and it
was on NBC -- her mother wrote me and said through, I guess, Twitter,
social media, the nicest things. And I very much appreciated that. I
hear she was a fine -- really, actually, an incredible young woman. But
her mother, on Twitter, thanked me for what I said.

"And honestly, if the press were not fake, and if it was honest, the
press would have said what I said was very nice. But unlike you, and
unlike -- excuse me, unlike you and unlike the media, before I make a
statement, I like to know the facts."

(crosstalk)

Reporter: "The CEO of Walmart said you missed a critical opportunity to
help bring the country together. Did you?"

Trump: "Not at all. I think the country -- look, you take a look. I’ve
created over a million jobs since I’m President. The country is booming.
The stock market is setting records. We have the highest employment
numbers we’ve ever had in the history of our country. We’re doing record
business. We have the highest levels of enthusiasm. So the head of
Walmart, who I know -- who’s a very nice guy -- was making a political
statement. I mean -- I’d do it the same way. And you know why? Because I
want to make sure, when I make a statement, that the statement is
correct. And there was no way -- there was no way of making a correct
statement that early. I had to see the facts, unlike a lot of reporters.
Unlike a lot of reporters --

Reporter: "Nazis were there."

Reporter: "David Duke was there."

Trump: "I didn’t know David Duke was there. I wanted to see the facts.
And the facts, as they started coming out, were very well stated. In
fact, everybody said, ‘His statement was beautiful. If he would have
made it sooner, that would have been good.’ I couldn’t have made it
sooner because I didn’t know all of the facts. Frankly, people still
don’t know all of the facts.

"It was very important -- excuse me, excuse me -- it was very important
to me to get the facts out and correctly. Because if I would have made a
fast statement -- and the first statement was made without knowing much,
other than what we were seeing. The second statement was made after,
with knowledge, with great knowledge. There are still things -- excuse
me -- there are still things that people don’t know. I want to make a
statement with knowledge. I wanted to know the facts."

Reporter: "Two questions. Was this terrorism? And can you tell us how
you’re feeling about your chief strategist, Stephen Bannon?"

Trump: "Well, I think the driver of the car is a disgrace to himself,
his family, and this country. And that is -- you can call it terrorism.
You can call it murder. You can call it whatever you want. I would just
call it as the fastest one to come up with a good verdict. That’s what
I’d call it. Because there is a question: Is it murder? Is it
terrorism? And then you get into legal semantics. The driver of the car
is a murderer. And what he did was a horrible, horrible, inexcusable thing.

(crosstalk)

Reporter: "Can you tell us broadly what your -- do you still have
confidence in Steve?"

Trump: "Well, we’ll see. Look, look -- I like Mr. Bannon. He’s a friend
of mine. But Mr. Bannon came on very late. You know that. I went through
17 senators, governors, and I won all the primaries. Mr. Bannon came on
very much later than that. And I like him, he’s a good man. He is not a
racist, I can tell you that. He’s a good person. He actually gets very
unfair press in that regard. But we’ll see what happens with Mr. Bannon.
But he’s a good person, and I think the press treats him, frankly, very
unfairly."

(crosstalk)

Reporter: "Sen. (John) McCain said that the alt-right is behind these
attacks, and he linked that same group to those who perpetrated the
attack in Charlottesville."

Trump: "Well, I don’t know. I can’t tell you. I’m sure Senator McCain
must know what he’s talking about. But when you say the alt-right,
define alt-right to me. You define it. Go ahead."

Reporter: "Well, I’m saying, as Senator --"

Trump: "No, define it for me. Come on, let’s go. Define it for me."

Reporter: "Senator McCain defined them as the same group --"

Trump: "Okay, what about the alt-left that came charging at -- excuse
me, what about the alt-left that came charging at the, as you say, the
alt-right? Do they have any semblance of guilt?

"Let me ask you this: What about the fact that they came charging with
clubs in their hands, swinging clubs? Do they have any problem? I think
they do. As far as I’m concerned, that was a horrible, horrible day.
Wait a minute. I’m not finished. I’m not finished, fake news. That was a
horrible day --

" I will tell you something. I watched those very closely -- much more
closely than you people watched it. And you have -- you had a group on
one side that was bad, and you had a group on the other side that was
also very violent. And nobody wants to say that, but I’ll say it right
now. You had a group -- you had a group on the other side that came
charging in, without a permit, and they were very, very violent."

Reporter: "Do you think that what you call the alt-left is the same as
neo-Nazis?"

Trump: "Those people -- all of those people – excuse me, I’ve condemned
neo-Nazis. I’ve condemned many different groups. But not all of those
people were neo-Nazis, believe me. Not all of those people were white
supremacists by any stretch. Those people were also there because they
wanted to protest the taking down of a statue of Robert E. Lee."

Reporter: "Should that statue be taken down?"

Trump: "Excuse me. If you take a look at some of the groups, and you see
-- and you’d know it if you were honest reporters, which in many cases
you’re not -- but many of those people were there to protest the taking
down of the statue of Robert E. Lee.

"So this week it’s Robert E. Lee. I noticed that Stonewall Jackson is
coming down. I wonder, is it George Washington next week? And is it
Thomas Jefferson the week after? You know, you really do have to ask
yourself, where does it stop?

"But they were there to protest -- excuse me, if you take a look, the
night before they were there to protest the taking down of the statue of
Robert E. Lee. Infrastructure question. Go ahead."

Reporter: "Should the statues of Robert E. Lee stay up?"

Trump: "I would say that’s up to a local town, community, or the federal
government, depending on where it is located."

Reporter: "How concerned are you about race relations in America? And do
you think things have gotten worse or better since you took office?"

Trump: "I think they’ve gotten better or the same. Look, they’ve been
frayed for a long time. And you can ask President Obama about that,
because he’d make speeches about it. But I believe that the fact that I
brought in -- it will be soon -- millions of jobs -- you see where
companies are moving back into our country -- I think that’s going to
have a tremendous, positive impact on race relations.

"We have companies coming back into our country. We have two car
companies that just announced. We have Foxconn in Wisconsin just
announced. We have many companies, I say, pouring back into the country.
I think that’s going to have a huge, positive impact on race relations.
You know why? It’s jobs. What people want now, they want jobs. They want
great jobs with good pay, and when they have that, you watch how race
relations will be.

"And I’ll tell you, we’re spending a lot of money on the inner cities.
We’re fixing the inner cities. We’re doing far more than anybody has
done with respect to the inner cities. It’s a priority for me, and it’s
very important."

Reporter: "Mr. President, are you putting what you’re calling the
alt-left and white supremacists on the same moral plane?"

Trump: "I’m not putting anybody on a moral plane. What I’m saying is
this: You had a group on one side and you had a group on the other, and
they came at each other with clubs -- and it was vicious and it was
horrible. And it was a horrible thing to watch.

"But there is another side. There was a group on this side. You can call
them the left -- you just called them the left -- that came violently
attacking the other group. So you can say what you want, but that’s the
way it is.

Reporter: (Inaudible) "… both sides, sir. You said there was hatred,
there was violence on both sides. Are the --"

Trump: "Yes, I think there’s blame on both sides. If you look at both
sides -- I think there’s blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about
it, and you don’t have any doubt about it either. And if you reported it
accurately, you would say."

Reporter: "The neo-Nazis started this. They showed up in Charlottesville
to protest --"

Trump: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had
some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were
very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse
me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in
that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a
very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E.
Lee to another name."

Reporter: "George Washington and Robert E. Lee are not the same."

Trump: "George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a
slave owner? So will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going
to take down -- excuse me, are we going to take down statues to George
Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas
Jefferson? You like him?"

Reporter: "I do love Thomas Jefferson."

Trump: "Okay, good. Are we going to take down the statue? Because he was
a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue?

"So you know what, it’s fine. You’re changing history. You’re changing
culture. And you had people -- and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis
and the white nationalists -- because they should be condemned totally.
But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white
nationalists. Okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly.

"Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people. But you also
had troublemakers, and you see them come with the black outfits and with
the helmets, and with the baseball bats. You had a lot of bad people in
the other group."

Reporter: "Sir, I just didn’t understand what you were saying. You were
saying the press has treated white nationalists unfairly? I just don’t
understand what you were saying."

Trump: "No, no. There were people in that rally -- and I looked the
night before -- if you look, there were people protesting very quietly
the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee. I’m sure in that group
there were some bad ones. The following day it looked like they had some
rough, bad people -- neo-Nazis, white nationalists, whatever you want to
call them.

"But you had a lot of people in that group that were there to innocently
protest, and very legally protest -- because, I don’t know if you know,
they had a permit. The other group didn’t have a permit. So I only tell
you this: There are two sides to a story. I thought what took place was
a horrible moment for our country -- a horrible moment. But there are
two sides to the country.

"Does anybody have a final --

Reporter: "What makes you think you can get an infrastructure bill? You
didn’t get health care --

Trump: "Well, you know, I’ll tell you. We came very close with health
care. Unfortunately, John McCain decided to vote against it at the last
minute. You’ll have to ask John McCain why he did that. But we came very
close to health care. We will end up getting health care. But we’ll get
the infrastructure. And actually, infrastructure is something that I
think we’ll have bipartisan support on. I actually think Democrats will
go along with the infrastructure."

Reporter: "Mr. President, have you spoken to the family of the victim of
the car attack?"

Trump: "No, I’ll be reaching out. I’ll be reaching out."

Reporter: "When will you be reaching out?"

Trump: "I thought that the statement put out -- the mother’s statement I
thought was a beautiful statement. I will tell you, it was something
that I really appreciated. I thought it was terrific. And, really, under
the kind of stress that she’s under and the heartache that she’s under,
I thought putting out that statement, to me, was really something. I
won’t forget it.

"Thank you, all, very much. Thank you. Thank you."
Share The Facts
Donald Trump
U.S. President

remarks to the press – Friday, April 26, 2019
John McAdams
2019-05-12 18:26:03 UTC
On 12 May 2019 14:23:28 -0400, Anthony Marsh
Post by Anthony Marsh
All WC defenders are liars.
And all conspiracy believers are kooks.
But Trump would say that there are fine people on both sides.
So liars are fine people and conspiracy kooks are fine people.
That's one way that he never has to take sides and condemn one side or
the other. And Trump himself is a liar AND a conspiracy kook.
In Context: Donald Trump’s ‘very fine people on both sides’ remarks
(transcript)
This is another example of Tony posting a massive block of text,
pretending that it proves what he says, when it in fact doesn't.

He's assuming people won't read it.

If you actually read through, you'll see that Trump explicitly
*excluded* white supremacists from his "fine people" comment.

He said some "fine people" were protesting taking down of the statues,
which was true.

.John
-----------------------
2019-05-12 22:03:16 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
All WC defenders are liars.
And all conspiracy believers are kooks.
But Trump would say that there are fine people on both sides.
So liars are fine people and conspiracy kooks are fine people.
That's one way that he never has to take sides and condemn one side or
the other. And Trump himself is a liar AND a conspiracy kook.
In Context: Donald Trump???s ???very fine people on both sides??? remarks
(transcript)
This is another example of Tony posting a massive block of text,
pretending that it proves what he says, when it in fact doesn't.
Well, you made the claim that I fell for media misquoting Trump. So now
are you going to claim that what I copies and pasted misquotes Trump or
leaves something out?
Post by John McAdams
He's assuming people won't read it.
Well, in fact I ASSuMEd that YOU would not post it and I was very
surprised to see that you did. I had to compose it as a new thread rather
than as a reply to BOZ, and I had to include stuff about the JFK
assassination to meet your criteria.

I ASSuME that you don't see the irony.
Post by John McAdams
If you actually read through, you'll see that Trump explicitly
*excluded* white supremacists from his "fine people" comment.
OMG, you are encouraging the Nazis to read the whole thing?
How dangerous!
Post by John McAdams
He said some "fine people" were protesting taking down of the statues,
which was true.
Oh, were those the Nazis marching with the Tiki Torches?
What were they chanting? "Don't touch my monuments"?
Post by John McAdams
.John
-----------------------
2019-05-12 22:13:58 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
All WC defenders are liars.
And all conspiracy believers are kooks.
But Trump would say that there are fine people on both sides.
So liars are fine people and conspiracy kooks are fine people.
That's one way that he never has to take sides and condemn one side or
the other. And Trump himself is a liar AND a conspiracy kook.
In Context: Donald Trump???s ???very fine people on both sides??? remarks
(transcript)
This is another example of Tony posting a massive block of text,
pretending that it proves what he says, when it in fact doesn't.
Well, you made the claim that I fell for media misquoting Trump. So now
are you going to claim that what I copies and pasted misquotes Trump or
leaves something out?
No, what you posted shows quite clearly that Trump's "fine people"
where people who *weren't* white supremacists, but came to protest
removal of the statues.

Why did you post something that contradicts your position?

Were you so naive that you believed the Mainstream Media spin, and
didn't see the need to read the transcript to see whether the media
spin was correct?
Post by John McAdams
If you actually read through, you'll see that Trump explicitly
*excluded* white supremacists from his "fine people" comment.
OMG, you are encouraging the Nazis to read the whole thing?
How dangerous!
No, not reading it was more dangerous, and now it's obvious you did
not.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by John McAdams
He said some "fine people" were protesting taking down of the statues,
which was true.
Oh, were those the Nazis marching with the Tiki Torches?
No.
Post by Anthony Marsh
What were they chanting? "Don't touch my monuments"?
They probably weren't chanting at all.

.John
-----------------------
2019-05-15 01:09:51 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
zlike what?
Post by John McAdams
Were you so naive that you believed the Mainstream Media spin, and
didn't see the need to read the transcript to see whether the media
spin was correct?
No. I saw it on TV and I posted the transcript. Then you said you delete
it. So that people couldn't see for themselves ehat Trump said.
Post by John McAdams
Post by Anthony Marsh
What were they chanting? "Don't touch my monuments"?
They probably weren't chanting at all.
You mean YOU couldn't hear what they were chanting?
They were chanting:

???White lives matter???
???Jews will not replace us!???
???Sieg heil???
???blood and soil???

Do you know what that last one means and where it came from?

A year ago Sunday, crowds of far-right and white supremacist protesters
descended on Charlottesville, Virginia. They marched toward a statue of
confederate General Robert E. Lee carrying tiki torches, swastikas and
semi-automatic rifles and chanting slogans like ???White lives matter???
and ???Jews will not replace us!??? By the end of the day, Heather Heyer
was dead, mowed down by a white supremacist who drove his car into a crowd
of counterprotesters. When the nation turned to President Donald Trump, he
provoked outrage by declaring that there are ???very fine people on both
sides.???
Post by John McAdams
.John
-----------------------
2019-05-15 01:13:24 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by John McAdams
This is another example of Tony posting a massive block of text,
pretending that it proves what he says, when it in fact doesn't.
Well, you made the claim that I fell for media misquoting Trump. So now
are you going to claim that what I copies and pasted misquotes Trump or
leaves something out?
No, what you posted shows quite clearly that Trump's "fine people"
where people who *weren't* white supremacists, but came to protest
removal of the statues.
Why did you post something that contradicts your position?
zlike what?
What you posted earlier in the thread.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by John McAdams
Were you so naive that you believed the Mainstream Media spin, and
didn't see the need to read the transcript to see whether the media
spin was correct?
No. I saw it on TV and I posted the transcript. Then you said you delete
it. So that people couldn't see for themselves ehat Trump said.
Anybody can see the earlier posts in the thread.

And anybody can see Trump did *not* call the white supremacists "fine
people."
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by John McAdams
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
Tony seems unable to understand that not all the people protesting the
removal of the Lee statue were white supremacists.

But then Tony believes that most of the people here are racists and
Nazis.

Tony can't accept that anybody could disagree with him unless they are
a racist or Nazi.

.John
-----------------------
2019-05-16 00:40:12 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by John McAdams
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
I never said they all were. Are you claiming that the Tiki Torch marchers
were protesting the removal of statues? I never head them chant, "Don't
touch the statues" or "all Hail Robert E. Lee." The rally was called Unite
The Right and it's purpose was to piggback on an existing protest to
flaunt their neoNazism. They didn't give a dam about the statues.
Post by John McAdams
But then Tony believes that most of the people here are racists and
Nazis.
Tony can't accept that anybody could disagree with him unless they are
a racist or Nazi.
No. Cheal slander.

There are a few good people who do not agree with me who are not Racists
of Nazis. But you have a habit of coddling the racists and Nazis.
Post by John McAdams
.John
-----------------------
2019-05-14 03:10:17 UTC
Post by John McAdams
He said some "fine people" were protesting taking down of the statues,
which was true.
Oh, were those the Nazis marching with the Tiki Torches?
What were they chanting? "Don't touch my monuments"?
Post by John McAdams
.John
-----------------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
Democrats are upset that Russians used active measures in a social media
campaign. Hillary Clinton has been using disinformation for years and she
was influenced by the writings of Karl Marx like Oswald.St James Comey was
a communist and so was John Brennan.
Bud
2019-05-13 21:06:39 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
All WC defenders are liars.
And all conspiracy believers are kooks.
But Trump would say that there are fine people on both sides.
So liars are fine people and conspiracy kooks are fine people.
That's one way that he never has to take sides and condemn one side or
the other. And Trump himself is a liar AND a conspiracy kook.
In Context: Donald Trump’s ‘very fine people on both sides’ remarks
(transcript)
This is another example of Tony posting a massive block of text,
pretending that it proves what he says, when it in fact doesn't.
He's assuming people won't read it.
I did.
Post by John McAdams
If you actually read through, you'll see that Trump explicitly
*excluded* white supremacists from his "fine people" comment.
He said some "fine people" were protesting taking down of the statues,
which was true.
Tony has as much interest in the truth as the mainstream media does.
Post by John McAdams
.John
-----------------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
Bud
2019-05-12 22:07:50 UTC
[...]
The media never mentioned the word "terorism" when Ferguson burned.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Trump: "As I said on -- remember, Saturday -- we condemn in the
strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and
violence. It has no place in America. And then it went on from there.
Now, here’s the thing --"
Reporter: (Inaudible)
When I make a statement, I like to be correct. I want the facts. This
event just happened. In fact, a lot of the event didn’t even happen yet,
as we were speaking. This event just happened.
The press wants Trump to react to their spin of the event. They want to
be the ones who say what occurred and everyone is supposed to accept their
determination. If they had credibility that might be possible, but they do
not.
Post by Anthony Marsh
"Before I make a statement, I need the facts. So I don’t want to rush
into a statement. So making the statement when I made it was excellent.
In fact, the young woman, who I hear was a fantastic young woman, and it
was on NBC -- her mother wrote me and said through, I guess, Twitter,
social media, the nicest things. And I very much appreciated that. I
hear she was a fine -- really, actually, an incredible young woman. But
her mother, on Twitter, thanked me for what I said.
"And honestly, if the press were not fake, and if it was honest, the
press would have said what I said was very nice. But unlike you, and
unlike -- excuse me, unlike you and unlike the media, before I make a
statement, I like to know the facts."
(crosstalk)
Reporter: "The CEO of Walmart said you missed a critical opportunity to
help bring the country together. Did you?"
The people who want to take the statues down don`t want to bring the
country together. They want to create division, and they want to stick it
to all the racist they feel are out there.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Trump: "Not at all. I think the country -- look, you take a look. I’ve
created over a million jobs since I’m President. The country is booming.
The stock market is setting records. We have the highest employment
numbers we’ve ever had in the history of our country. We’re doing record
business. We have the highest levels of enthusiasm. So the head of
Walmart, who I know -- who’s a very nice guy -- was making a political
statement. I mean -- I’d do it the same way. And you know why? Because I
want to make sure, when I make a statement, that the statement is
correct. And there was no way -- there was no way of making a correct
statement that early. I had to see the facts, unlike a lot of reporters.
Unlike a lot of reporters --
Reporter: "Nazis were there."
Reporter: "David Duke was there."
So what?
Post by Anthony Marsh
Trump: "I didn’t know David Duke was there. I wanted to see the facts.
And the facts, as they started coming out, were very well stated. In
fact, everybody said, ‘His statement was beautiful. If he would have
made it sooner, that would have been good.’ I couldn’t have made it
sooner because I didn’t know all of the facts. Frankly, people still
don’t know all of the facts.
"It was very important -- excuse me, excuse me -- it was very important
to me to get the facts out and correctly. Because if I would have made a
fast statement -- and the first statement was made without knowing much,
other than what we were seeing. The second statement was made after,
with knowledge, with great knowledge. There are still things -- excuse
me -- there are still things that people don’t know. I want to make a
statement with knowledge. I wanted to know the facts."
Unlike the media, that goes off half-cocked without checking facts.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Reporter: "Two questions. Was this terrorism?
A question never asked after Ferguson, when people rioted because they
didn`t like the legal and proper decision not to indict the cop who shot
Mike Brown. Never asked when Antifa attacked people to shut down Milo from
speaking at Berkley.
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
Trump is smart, he knew just the right question to ask. The left uses
"alt-right" as a catch-all label against anyone they don`t agree with.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Reporter: "Senator McCain defined them as the same group --"
Trump: "Okay, what about the alt-left that came charging at -- excuse
me, what about the alt-left that came charging at the, as you say, the
alt-right? Do they have any semblance of guilt?
Again, the exact right question. Why is right wing violence significant
and left wing violence not significant. Why is it ok for the left to have
their "punch a nazi" philosophy, why are people who wear MAGA hats
constantly attacked?
Post by Anthony Marsh
"Let me ask you this: What about the fact that they came charging with
clubs in their hands, swinging clubs? Do they have any problem? I think
they do. As far as I’m concerned, that was a horrible, horrible day.
Wait a minute. I’m not finished. I’m not finished, fake news. That was a
horrible day --
" I will tell you something. I watched those very closely -- much more
closely than you people watched it. And you have -- you had a group on
one side that was bad, and you had a group on the other side that was
also very violent. And nobody wants to say that, but I’ll say it right
now. You had a group -- you had a group on the other side that came
charging in, without a permit, and they were very, very violent."
Exactly right. The left was every bit as violent at that event as the
right.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Reporter: "Do you think that what you call the alt-left is the same as
neo-Nazis?"
How is Antifa different?
Post by Anthony Marsh
Trump: "Those people -- all of those people – excuse me, I’ve condemned
neo-Nazis. I’ve condemned many different groups. But not all of those
people were neo-Nazis, believe me. Not all of those people were white
supremacists by any stretch. Those people were also there because they
wanted to protest the taking down of a statue of Robert E. Lee."
Trump makes a distinction the press does not want to make.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Reporter: "Should that statue be taken down?"
Trump: "Excuse me. If you take a look at some of the groups, and you see
-- and you’d know it if you were honest reporters, which in many cases
you’re not -- but many of those people were there to protest the taking
down of the statue of Robert E. Lee.
"So this week it’s Robert E. Lee. I noticed that Stonewall Jackson is
coming down. I wonder, is it George Washington next week? And is it
Thomas Jefferson the week after? You know, you really do have to ask
yourself, where does it stop?
Valid point. And then off the money. It is just making issues out of
non-issues so you can brand anyone who disagrees a racist.

Perhaps a proper dialog about these things needs to happen. In general
the left has little interest, they want to be declared right and have
their actions bulldozed into effect.
Post by Anthony Marsh
"But they were there to protest -- excuse me, if you take a look, the
night before they were there to protest the taking down of the statue of
Robert E. Lee. Infrastructure question. Go ahead."
Reporter: "Should the statues of Robert E. Lee stay up?"
Trump: "I would say that’s up to a local town, community, or the federal
government, depending on where it is located."
Again, the right answer. There needs to be a dialog and a process. If a
community doesn`t want them they can be moved to private grounds still
accessible to the public.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Reporter: "How concerned are you about race relations in America? And do
you think things have gotten worse or better since you took office?"
A question they`d never ask Obama. When did the Micheal Brown incident
occur, the Trayvon Martin incident occur? When Was Black Lives matter
formed? All under Obama.

What happens under Trump is that incidents are blown up, even though many of them turn out to be fake.
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
Trump is trying to focus o the positives. The media won`t have that...
Post by Anthony Marsh
Reporter: "Mr. President, are you putting what you’re calling the
alt-left and white supremacists on the same moral plane?"
Why wouldn`t they be? They are both using violence to achieve political
goals.
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
This question really shows the bias of the media. How was it determined
that the first violent act was perpetrated by the right wingers? And
didn`t the left show up also? And why can`t they show up and protest?
Post by Anthony Marsh
Trump: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had
some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were
very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse
me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in
that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a
very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E.
Lee to another name."
Trump is making distinctions between people who came to let their
legitimate opinions known (on both sides) and those who came looking for
trouble. The press has no interest in that.
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
Of course, they dishonestly lumped everyone on one side as alt-right. It
is how the mainstream media operates, they have no interest in the truth.
And they hate how Trump exposes their deceit, but much of the public loves
him for it.
Post by Anthony Marsh
"Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people. But you also
had troublemakers, and you see them come with the black outfits and with
the helmets, and with the baseball bats. You had a lot of bad people in
the other group."
Reporter: "Sir, I just didn’t understand what you were saying. You were
saying the press has treated white nationalists unfairly? I just don’t
understand what you were saying."
<snicker> See? They ignore the distinction he made and just keeps
referring to the whole of one side as white nationalists.
Post by Anthony Marsh
Trump: "No, no. There were people in that rally -- and I looked the
night before -- if you look, there were people protesting very quietly
the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee. I’m sure in that group
there were some bad ones. The following day it looked like they had some
rough, bad people -- neo-Nazis, white nationalists, whatever you want to
call them.
What often happens is a group will legitimately protest something like
the removal of the statue. Leftist will show up with bullhorns, screaming
in their faces, calling them "racists". It makes the news and yahoos come
out of the woodwork, often because they legitimately feel that they are
not allowed to have a viewpoint in this country, while everyone else gets
to say whatever they like.
Post by Anthony Marsh
"But you had a lot of people in that group that were there to innocently
protest, and very legally protest -- because, I don’t know if you know,
they had a permit. The other group didn’t have a permit."
The media had no interest in this. They think it is ok to shout down
ideas that they don`t approve of.
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
Media has no interest in this. Only the divisive issues.
remarks to the press – Friday, April 26, 2019
Absolutely correct.
donald willis
2019-05-13 23:37:41 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
Robert E. Lee did not want statues of himself put up in the first place.
Rightly, he said the war was over....

don`t want to bring the
Absolutely correct.
Mark
remarks to the press – Friday, April 26, 2019
Absolutely correct.
You could have left one or two thoughts for me to add.

You beat me to every one.

Quite well done. Mark
Anthony Marsh
2019-05-15 01:13:56 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
"Let me ask you this: What about the fact that they came charging with
clubs in their hands, swinging clubs? Do they have any problem? I think
they do. As far as I’m concerned, that was a horrible, horrible day.
Wait a minute. I’m not finished. I’m not finished, fake news. That was a
horrible day --
" I will tell you something. I watched those very closely -- much more
closely than you people watched it. And you have -- you had a group on
one side that was bad, and you had a group on the other side that was
also very violent. And nobody wants to say that, but I’ll say it right
now. You had a group -- you had a group on the other side that came
charging in, without a permit, and they were very, very violent."
Exactly right. The left was every bit as violent at that event as the
right.
Show me. Prove it. Not fake Fox links and talking heads.
Post by Bud
Post by Anthony Marsh
Reporter: "Do you think that what you call the alt-left is the same as
neo-Nazis?"
How is Antifa different?
Well, they have a different political belief.
And they don't run over people in the street or blow up buildings.
Compare the deaths.
Post by Anthony Marsh
"But they were there to protest -- excuse me, if you take a look, the
night before they were there to protest the taking down of the statue of
Robert E. Lee. Infrastructure question. Go ahead."
Reporter: "Should the statues of Robert E. Lee stay up?"
Trump: "I would say that’s up to a local town, community, or the federal
government, depending on where it is located."
Again, the right answer. There needs to be a dialog and a process. If a
community doesn`t want them they can be moved to private grounds still
accessible to the public.
Yes, but it is still giving in to the groups that do not want to see
them in very public places as if the city approves of the person or the
cause.
Post by Bud
Post by Anthony Marsh
Reporter: "How concerned are you about race relations in America? And do
you think things have gotten worse or better since you took office?"
A question they`d never ask Obama. When did the Micheal Brown incident
occur, the Trayvon Martin incident occur? When Was Black Lives matter
formed? All under Obama.
So what? Maybe they were reactions to the racial hatred that increased
as a result of Obama being elected.
Post by Bud
What happens under Trump is that incidents are blown up, even though many of them turn out to be fake.
So you claim. Show me. I may know of some fakes, but I want you to prove
your racism by making up some false examples. Why don't you try Tawana
Brawley?
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
That's a tough one. Do we have to rely on witnesses or do we have enough
video to figure it out ourselves.
Did that girl slip the bird at the racist so he ran her over?
Post by Bud
didn`t the left show up also? And why can`t they show up and protest?
Not sure that an organized group of the left showed up.
I think it was individuals who lived there.
Post by Anthony Marsh
[...]
Well, media does not spend most of it's time reporting on good things
that are happening. Viewers get bored and change the channel so those
viewers don't see that channel's commercials.
If it bleeds it leads.
remarks to the press – Friday, April 26, 2019
Absolutely correct.
Not sure what YOU mean?
Are you praising Robert E. Lee because he was a traitor?
BOZ
human nature is good. It isn't.
John McAdams
remarks to the press – Friday, April 26, 2019
Liberals start with a basic premise that is false. Liberals believe that
human nature is good. It isn't.
Actually, no. They start with the assumption that everybody but them
is evil, and they have the right to impose their notions of the good
to everybody else.
.John
-----------------------
remarks to the press – Friday, April 26, 2019
Liberals start with a basic premise that is false. Liberals believe that
human nature is good. It isn't.
Actually, no. They start with the assumption that everybody but them
is evil, and they have the right to impose their notions of the good
to everybody else.
Are you trying to admit that rightwingers are inherently evil?
Post by John McAdams
.John
-----------------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
19efppp
remarks to the press – Friday, April 26, 2019
Trump has done so many horrible things, yet you want to criticize him for
stupid stuff, a dog whistle comment on a staged car crash hoax killing.
Like Obama and Hillary and Dubbya and Clinton, Trump is a real mass
murderer, and you get excited about his fake crimes. That's like arguing a
JFK conspiracy on the "acoustic evidence," when there are real proofs
available. It's as if you don't really mean it, but are just playing some
propaganda game to fool the rubes.
Anthony Marsh
remarks to the press – Friday, April 26, 2019
Trump has done so many horrible things, yet you want to criticize him for
stupid stuff, a dog whistle comment on a staged car crash hoax killing.
false. It was deliberate murder.
Post by 19efppp
Like Obama and Hillary and Dubbya and Clinton, Trump is a real mass
murderer, and you get excited about his fake crimes. That's like arguing a
What fake crimes?