DPD Captain Doughty apparently felt that Crime Scene photos of spent
Add Reply
donald willis
2018-11-23 21:15:13 UTC
DPD Captain Doughty apparently felt that Crime Scene photos of spent
shells were unimportant.

Or perhaps he knew that Crime Scene's "Pete" Barnes was too busy to
bother....

From the 4/7/64 WC interview of DPD Crime Scene's Pete Barnes:

Mr. BARNES. Yes. Captain Doughty picked up another hull, .38 caliber.
Mr. BELIN. Did you see Captain Doughty pick it up?
Mr. BARNES. I did not.
Mr. BELIN. Were you advised as to anyone who might have pointed it out to
Captain Doughty, or did he get it himself, or what?
Mr. BARNES. I heard that someone pointed it out to him and he picked it up.
Mr. BELIN. You mean some citizen?
Mr. BARNES. Some citizen pointed it out to him, and he picked it up?

272

Mr. BELIN. Do you remember where he might have located it? What approximate
location?
Mr. BARNES. I was a busy man and I didn't watch his operation.

"Didn't watch his operation".... You might think that Captain Doughty, at
least, would have thought to tell Barnes--at least at the end of his,
Doughty's "operation"--that a witness was showing him where a spent shell
fell and that, gee, maybe he, Barnes, while he was there, might take a
picture of it, before it was handled. In situ and all that.

But Doughty apparently thought that in situ photographs were pointless,
and certainly in the Tippit case they seemed to be. Not one of the four
shells was "in situ"-ed.

Yet W.E. "Busy" Barnes left time in his schedule to take a picture of a
nearby stop sign. Yes, see page 273 of the interview! But a shell which
turned out to be actually kind of sort of slightly important.... Is it any
wonder that the DPD is aka The Keystone Kops? Stars of an in-situ-ation
comedy.... No wonder they had a devil of a time explaining the spent
shells, in Oak Cliff as well as Dealey.

That stop sign is probably still in the Evidence Room of the DPD. It
could be The Key to the whole thing....

"Didn't watch his operation...."

dcw
donald willis
2018-12-01 00:47:41 UTC
Post by donald willis
[...]
I guess I have to explain the obvious. If Doughty supposedly picked up a
shell while Barnes was at the scene ("I didn't watch his operation.")....
Well, Barnes was the photographer there, and he photographed no such
scene. The logical conclusion is that there WAS NO SUCH SCENE. The whole
episode was concocted with the overly willing help of the Davis
sisters-in-law to show gee how far away one or two of the shells were from
the immediate scene of the shooting. Why, an automatic just couldn't
eject shells THAT far away! Oh, it must have been a revolver....

The Davis-Doughty-Barnes story was so poorly synced that it tends to prove
the opposite of what was intended....

Or, Fairy Tales of the DPD.

dcw