When sirens are on can cop hear radio?
GKnoll
2019-04-16 01:32:28 UTC
When the sirens are on for a motorcycle officer, can he/she hear the
radio? How did the escort motorcycle officers hear Chief Currys
broadcasts, if their sirens were on?
GKnoll
2019-04-17 01:12:03 UTC
Post by GKnoll
When the sirens are on for a motorcycle officer, can he/she hear the
radio? How did the escort motorcycle officers hear Chief Currys
broadcasts, if their sirens were on?
Here is a post from a policeman about this

https://www.quora.com/How-does-it-feel-to-drive-a-police-car-while-the-siren-is-on

[quote]

First, it's loud. You have a 100-watt siren directly overhead, drowning
out the radio and anything else you need to hear. Second, you quickly
discover just how clueless most drivers are. The first day my FTO let me
drive (thirty-nine years ago, but it seems like last week) we got a code 3
run to assist the fire department. I had at least two drivers stop short
in front of me when they suddenly heard the siren and braked without
looking around. I've had people pull to the right without checking for
traffic and nearly cause another accident, pull to the left and end up
stuck in the median, or just stop because they, somehow, didn't know what
to do. (Yield safely to the right and stop until the emergency vehicle
passes.)

During training, we did a few experiments and discovered that, at 60 mph
with the windows down, occupants of a vehicle can't hear a 100-W siren
until the pursuing vehicle is around 10 feet behind, so it's imperative
that, when driving, you pay attention to what's going on around you.

When I was first on the street, we had to have a supervisor's permission
for emergency operation. The smart supervisors usually said, "Use your own
judgement." A few years later, the administration amended the General
Order to allow the responding deputy to make the call when to roll code 3.
As you might imagine, for about two weeks, deputies were rolling code 3 to
barking dog calls. After everyone realized how little was gained, things
went back to normal and code 3 runs were probably even rarer than before.
[end quote]
Spence
2019-04-19 06:23:41 UTC
Post by GKnoll
When the sirens are on for a motorcycle officer, can he/she hear the
radio? How did the escort motorcycle officers hear Chief Currys
broadcasts, if their sirens were on?
You do know the sirens are not electric right? They are tire driven and
vary by the speed of the motorcycle
Anthony Marsh
2019-04-19 18:29:46 UTC
Post by Spence
Post by GKnoll
When the sirens are on for a motorcycle officer, can he/she hear the
radio? How did the escort motorcycle officers hear Chief Currys
broadcasts, if their sirens were on?
You do know the sirens are not electric right? They are tire driven and
vary by the speed of the motorcycle
That is also one way that you can figure out how fast the cycles were
going, whose cycle was near which others and when a cycle was stopped or
parked.

We can hear McLain trying to catch up to the other cycles and when he
turns on his own siren.