McAdams Website DPD Radio Transcript Errors and Omissions
1***@mail.com
2019-03-09 03:27:15 UTC
Being a hobbyist here, naturally I get all hot and bothered whenever I
find erroneous material being posted about Barbie Dolls and the JFK
assassination and such, and I call upon our Dungeon Master to look into
the matter on his radio transcript thing.

There are numerous examples. One of the most annoying is on channel 2 at
12:34 involving Bobby Hargis.

Dispatcher Did you get all that information, 136?

136 (Patrolman B.W. Hargis) 10-4.

Reading this, one gets the impression that the Dispatcher is referring to
prior radio traffic, but if you actually listen to the recording you can
hear that Hargis makes a call that is not even recorded here.

136 Ah, 75 says the Texas Book Depository, he says shots came from
that
building.

And then the dispatcher asks Hargis to get the witness's information. This
is completely misrepresented in the McAdams transcript, and should be
corrected. Of course, another transcript has "75" as "a passerby," but
that is a better misrepresentation because it at least acknowledges that
Hargis made a call. The McAdams version is just nonsensical.

Channel 1 at 12:36 from Sgt. Harkness:

Witness says shots came from fifth floor, Texas Book Depository Store and
Houston and Elm. I have him with me now and we are sealing off the
building.

This clearly is crosstalk of his channel 2 transmission, and should at
least be noted as such if it is going to appear in a channel 1 transcript.
But, the McAdams transcript words it differently than the channel 2
transmission, making it seem as if Harkness made the call on both
channels. Harkness was assigned to channel 2, and he made this call on
channel 2, and it is mere crosstalk on channel 1. Any channel 1
transmission from Harkness should be viewed with skepticism. There are two
more later, at 12:58 and 1:08, but they are not crosstalk. Those are
something else, but not concerned with the issue at hand.

But, this 12:36 channel 1 error in the McAdams transcript obscures the
issue with these later calls by making it seem as if Harkness is using
both channels when he is using only channel 2. Do look into it, good
Professor.

And the last one I'll harp upon here before I get back to my dear Barbies,
comes at about 1:20 on channel 1, from Captain Talbert.

15 19 will be en route.

Actually, Talbert says, "19 will be en route shortly." The McAdams version
may literally mean the same thing, but it actually is more ambiguous. It
could mean that 19 already is en route. I don't know the linguistic terms,
but sometimes people mean the present tense when they say that. It's like
saying that 19 should be en route now. But when the "shortly" is included,
then the ambiguity disappears. That is a reference to the future. "19 will
be en route shortly," means that 19 is not yet en route. He has not left
yet. He is still here. Perhaps if our Political Science Professor were to
seek out the advice of an English professor, he would appreciate the
importance of this difference and make the correction. Sgt. Owens is still
at the TSBD, according to Talbert. And fear not, Professor! You can always
say that he was mistaken, if you need to.

If I was a big rootin tootin Professor like McAdams, I'd want to correct
these errors on the website that bears my name.
Anthony Marsh
2019-03-11 16:43:56 UTC
Post by 1***@mail.com
[...]
OK, just one question for you. What planet are you from?
Anyone from planet Earth knows what a mess the transcripts were. We've
all been trying to clean them up.

But when they were written no one knew about crosstalk. Steve Barber was
one of the first to recognize that happening.
Post by 1***@mail.com
But, the McAdams transcript words it differently than the channel 2
Consider the source. McAdams has no interest in solving this case. Google
until you find a transcript you can live with. I assume from the way you
are talking that you don't have the tapes. As much as I detest Steve, I
did at least get his copies to compare to others.
Why would he want to post accurate information?
1***@mail.com
2019-03-12 01:32:54 UTC
Post by 1***@mail.com
[...]
If you are worth anything, you will tell me where to get a recording of
channel 2 that goes past 2 PM. Are you worth anything?
Anthony Marsh
2019-03-13 20:30:43 UTC
Post by 1***@mail.com
Post by 1***@mail.com
[...]
Steve Barber
Russ Burr
Todd Vaughan
National Archives
Collector's Archives
AARC
Richard Garwin - As Steve explained in his article:

. After the release of the NAS report, I asked Professor Ramsey if he
would make copies for me of the recordings they used for their study. They
had confiscated the original channel-one dictabelt, and channel two gray
audograph disc used to record all the voice transmissions made by the DPD
on November 22, 1963. He obliged me, and I received a copy from Bowles'
copy, plus a copy made right from the dictabelt itself. The original
dictabelt has aged and is full of bubbles and cracks but it still plays.
At the time, Ramsey didn't have a copy of channel two from the audograph
disc, so referred me to Richard Garwin of IBM in New York (who helped with
the NAS study) Garwin sent a reel of tape containing the channel two radio
transmissions. The channel two tape I received shocked me, and it was on
this recording that I discovered another error made by the BBN/HSCA study.
It had been stated by BBN that a "carillon bell" tolled sometime around
the time of the assassination. I had stated in my correspondence with
Ramsey and others, that I felt that this "carillon bell" was nothing more
than electronic noise, interfering with the DPD radio frequency . The
sound occurred just three seconds after Decker said the words "get there"
from the "Hold everything secure .... channel two radio transmission. I
knew that the only copies of channel two in existence that we could obtain
were the copies made by Mary Ferrell back in the 70's. These were like a
recording of a phonograph record that skipped, and repeated. Sometimes the
voice on the recording would repeat the same thing over and over two,
three times, and sometimes the needle would skip completely over what was
actually recorded. Thankfully, this didn't happen when the audograph disc
player was recording rather, this only occurred when the recording disc
was played back.

When they took the original channel two recording disc to Washington DC,
the NAS scientists played it on a high quality turntable and the disk
played back each and every word recorded on 11-22-63 without any skipping,
or repeating. Each and every word recorded that day was rerecorded onto
new tape.

When I received this channel two tape, I discovered that since the
recording made on grey audograph equipment is recorded at linear speed,
and turntables play at RPM's -- this causes a problem as the tape
progresses the faster the speech became. After a certain point, it sounded
like you were listening to a recording played at 78rpm's.

The tape recording Garwin sent was a recording directly off the playback
on the turntable-not grey equipment. There was no way I could listen to
this tape, and get anything out of it without slowing it down. What I did
then was take two portable cassette players, plug one into the other. I
took one of them apart, applied pressure to the pinch roller with my
thumb, harmonized the 60 hz hum on the recording with the hum emanating
from the speaker from the cassette player by slowing the recording down
until they were in perfect harmony (remember -- I'm a musician) thus
allowing us to hear the speech at the real speed it was recorded that day,
instead of too fast or too slow.

Needless to say, I had one sore thumb when I was finished. I sat in one
spot, pushing harder and harder on the roller until the recording was
finished.

Totalled up, it was about 43 minutes. This however, gives us a totally new
recording of channel two without the words and phrases missing and/or
skipping/ repeating, and/or speed distortion. But the fun wasn't over
yet!! The sound that BBN said was a "carillon bell" on channel one was
also occuring on channel two-in the same time sequence-three seconds after
Decker finished speaking . However, on channel two it was much louder. It
happened at the time on the "Ferrell copy" of channel two (with the skips)
when the disc skipped at that point, cutting off this sound plus four
words spoken by the dispatcher at DPD headquarters . It proved to me that
it was nothing more than interference on the police radio frequency. Not
only did this sound occur at 12:31 but a similar sound occurs at 12:45/46
on channel two, again while the dispatcher is speaking into his mic.

Upon discovering this, I immediately called my friend Todd Vaughan and
played it over the telephone for him. I Then informed professor Ramsey
about it, since in the final chapter in the NAS report, in the "Possible
further studies" section, they mention that further testing should be done
on the "carillon bell" sound to see if it could be determined what the
sound actually is . When I informed Ramsey of this, he responded by
stating that he "qualitatively confirms" that it was electronic noise, and
people from IBM in New York were going to perform some data testing on the
sound.

What is it you want to hear?
Is it something that isn't on the transcripts?
donald willis
2019-03-14 18:52:35 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by 1***@mail.com
Post by 1***@mail.com
[...]
I believe that Russ died a few years ago. I recall him as a very
reasonable and helpful LN....

dcw
1***@mail.com
2019-03-14 18:56:14 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by 1***@mail.com
Post by 1***@mail.com
[...]
If I tell you what I want to hear, you'll just ridicule me. I did state
the time incorrectly. I need approximately 12:45 - 1:15 of channel 2,
though more would be even better. The only recording I can find ends
somewhere around 12:45, which is very early. Transcripts go further, but
channel 2 transcripts seem to be the worst, to judge by the recording I do
have. Entire transmissions are just ignored.
Anthony Marsh
2019-03-16 23:27:19 UTC
Post by 1***@mail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by 1***@mail.com
Post by 1***@mail.com
[...]
Why can't I just ridicule you anyway? Are you trying to take away all my
fun?
Post by 1***@mail.com
the time incorrectly. I need approximately 12:45 - 1:15 of channel 2,
though more would be even better. The only recording I can find ends
somewhere around 12:45, which is very early. Transcripts go further, but
Sure, OK. 2:45. Not just past 2:00.

What about 12:45?
Isn't that a little too early to hear a confession?

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/tapes2.htm
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/tapes2.htm
There must be something very incuminating there.
I think I know what it is:
"Paul is dead."
Post by 1***@mail.com
channel 2 transcripts seem to be the worst, to judge by the recording I do
have. Entire transmissions are just ignored.
Yes, they were only interested in the commotion on channel 1 about the
shooting.