Obama admits to being a Mutt (Mixed Ancestry) in response to Ramon
2019-05-09 19:46:05 UTC
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
White House (an election promise to his daughters) Obama said:
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Anthony Marsh
2019-05-10 14:02:34 UTC
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Well, maybe you've never been in the real world. It is called
self-deprecating humor and the speaker never really means that it should
be taken literally.
BOZ
2019-05-11 01:39:14 UTC
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Well, maybe you've never been in the real world. It is called
self-deprecating humor and the speaker never really means that it should
be taken literally.
Anthony Marsh wrote:

"Silly. Everyone is part something except for some very rare tribes.
Maybe we are all part Neanderthal too."
Ramon F Herrera
2019-05-11 19:32:52 UTC
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Well, maybe you've never been in the real world. It is called
self-deprecating humor and the speaker never really means that it should
be taken literally.
Precisely:

"For the PURPOSES of humor, I am a mutt".
-Barack Obama.

-Ramon
JFK NUmbers

#FreeTheCranium
#FreeTheBlueprints
#StopBlockingTheTruth
John McAdams
2019-05-11 19:34:12 UTC
Post by Ramon F Herrera
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Well, maybe you've never been in the real world. It is called
self-deprecating humor and the speaker never really means that it should
be taken literally.
"For the PURPOSES of humor, I am a mutt".
-Barack Obama.
He's having fun with the fact, which he happily admits, that's he's of
mixed race.

Why does this bug you? Are you so politically correct that you think
it denigrates him to say he has white ancestry?

.John
-----------------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
Ramon F Herrera
2019-05-12 18:05:45 UTC
Post by John McAdams
Post by Ramon F Herrera
[...]
Obama is of mixed race AND Obama is Black. Period.

You are the one who is bugged to absurd extremes.

May I remind you about the charter of this NG?

-Ramon

#FreeTheCranium
#FreeTheBlueprints
#StopHijackingRamon'sPosts
#DefeatTheHypocrisy
John McAdams
2019-05-12 18:08:59 UTC
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by John McAdams
He's having fun with the fact, which he happily admits, that's he's of
mixed race.
Why does this bug you? Are you so politically correct that you think
it denigrates him to say he has white ancestry?
Obama is of mixed race AND Obama is Black. Period.
You are the one who is bugged to absurd extremes.
You're the one who is going bonkers over a simple fact: Obama has
black African ancestry, and white European ancestry.

Obama is bi-racial, and he's happy to say that.

Why do you have a bug up your ass on this issue?

Is it that you somehow believe that white ancestry taints him?

Do you think it's demeaning to be bi-racial?

-----------------------
2019-05-13 14:18:41 UTC
Post by John McAdams
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by John McAdams
He's having fun with the fact, which he happily admits, that's he's of
mixed race.
Why does this bug you? Are you so politically correct that you think
it denigrates him to say he has white ancestry?
Obama is of mixed race AND Obama is Black. Period.
You are the one who is bugged to absurd extremes.
You're the one who is going bonkers over a simple fact: Obama has
black African ancestry, and white European ancestry.
Obama is bi-racial, and he's happy to say that.
How often does he use the term "bi-rcial"?
I've talked to many black people and some dislike the term and just say
black.

Race
Obama And The Politics Of Being Biracial

Download

Transcript

December 18, 200810:00 AM ET
Heard on Talk of the Nation

President-elect Barack Obama defines himself as African-American. His
mother is a white American, and his father is a black African. This hits
a nerve with some people, who wonder why Obama doesn't use the term
biracial to describe his race.

Guests:

Dawn Turner Trice, race relations columnist for the Chicago Tribune

Annette Gordon-Reed, professor of law at New York Law School, and author
of The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family
Transcript: Barack Obama's Speech on Race

Download

March 18, 200811:13 AM ET

Click to view mentions of key words in Obama's speech.

The following is a transcript of the remarks of Democratic Illinois Sen.
Barack Obama, delivered March 18, 2008, in Philadelphia at the
Constitution Center. In it, Obama addresses the role race has played in
the presidential campaign. He also responds to criticism of the Rev.
Jeremiah Wright, an unpaid campaign adviser and pastor at Obama's
Chicago church. Wright has made inflammatory remarks about the United
States and has accused the country of bringing on the Sept. 11 attacks
by spreading terrorism.

"We the people, in order to form a more perfect union ..." — 221 years
ago, in a hall that still stands across the street, a group of men
gathered and, with these simple words, launched America's improbable
experiment in democracy. Farmers and scholars, statesmen and patriots
who had traveled across an ocean to escape tyranny and persecution
finally made real their declaration of independence at a Philadelphia
convention that lasted through the spring of 1787.

The document they produced was eventually signed but ultimately
unfinished. It was stained by this nation's original sin of slavery, a
question that divided the colonies and brought the convention to a
stalemate until the founders chose to allow the slave trade to continue
for at least 20 more years, and to leave any final resolution to future
generations.

Of course, the answer to the slavery question was already embedded
within our Constitution — a Constitution that had at its very core the
ideal of equal citizenship under the law; a Constitution that promised
its people liberty and justice and a union that could be and should be
perfected over time.

And yet words on a parchment would not be enough to deliver slaves from
bondage, or provide men and women of every color and creed their full
rights and obligations as citizens of the United States. What would be
needed were Americans in successive generations who were willing to do
their part — through protests and struggles, on the streets and in the
courts, through a civil war and civil disobedience, and always at great
risk — to narrow that gap between the promise of our ideals and the
reality of their time.

This was one of the tasks we set forth at the beginning of this
presidential campaign — to continue the long march of those who came
before us, a march for a more just, more equal, more free, more caring
and more prosperous America. I chose to run for president at this moment
in history because I believe deeply that we cannot solve the challenges
of our time unless we solve them together, unless we perfect our union
by understanding that we may have different stories, but we hold common
hopes; that we may not look the same and we may not have come from the
same place, but we all want to move in the same direction — toward a
better future for our children and our grandchildren.

This belief comes from my unyielding faith in the decency and generosity
of the American people. But it also comes from my own story.

I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I
was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a
Depression to serve in Patton's Army during World War II and a white
grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth
while he was overseas. I've gone to some of the best schools in America
and lived in one of the world's poorest nations. I am married to a black
American who carries within her the blood of slaves and slaveowners — an
inheritance we pass on to our two precious daughters. I have brothers,
sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins of every race and every
hue, scattered across three continents, and for as long as I live, I
will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even
possible.

It's a story that hasn't made me the most conventional of candidates.
But it is a story that has seared into my genetic makeup the idea that
this nation is more than the sum of its parts — that out of many, we are
truly one.

Throughout the first year of this campaign, against all predictions to
the contrary, we saw how hungry the American people were for this
message of unity. Despite the temptation to view my candidacy through a
purely racial lens, we won commanding victories in states with some of
the whitest populations in the country. In South Carolina, where the
Confederate flag still flies, we built a powerful coalition of
African-Americans and white Americans.

This is not to say that race has not been an issue in this campaign. At
various stages in the campaign, some commentators have deemed me either
"too black" or "not black enough." We saw racial tensions bubble to the
surface during the week before the South Carolina primary. The press has
scoured every single exit poll for the latest evidence of racial
polarization, not just in terms of white and black, but black and brown
as well.

And yet, it has only been in the last couple of weeks that the
discussion of race in this campaign has taken a particularly divisive turn.

On one end of the spectrum, we've heard the implication that my
candidacy is somehow an exercise in affirmative action; that it's based
solely on the desire of wide-eyed liberals to purchase racial
reconciliation on the cheap. On the other end, we've heard my former
pastor, Jeremiah Wright, use incendiary language to express views that
have the potential not only to widen the racial divide, but views that
denigrate both the greatness and the goodness of our nation, and that
rightly offend white and black alike.

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of
Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy and, in some cases,
pain. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an
occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of
course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered
controversial while I sat in the church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree
with many of his political views? Absolutely — just as I'm sure many of
you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which
you strongly disagreed.

But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren't simply
controversial. They weren't simply a religious leader's efforts to speak
out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly
distorted view of this country — a view that sees white racism as
endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we
know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle
East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel,
instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical
Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright's comments were not only wrong but divisive,
divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when
we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems — two
wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care
crisis and potentially devastating climate change — problems that are
neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that
confront us all.

Given my background, my politics, and my professed values and ideals,
there will no doubt be those for whom my statements of condemnation are
not enough. Why associate myself with Reverend Wright in the first
place, they may ask? Why not join another church? And I confess that if
all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons
that have run in an endless loop on the television sets and YouTube, or
if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being
peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in
much the same way.

But the truth is, that isn't all that I know of the man. The man I met
more than 20 years ago is a man who helped introduce me to my Christian
faith, a man who spoke to me about our obligations to love one another,
to care for the sick and lift up the poor. He is a man who served his
country as a United States Marine; who has studied and lectured at some
of the finest universities and seminaries in the country, and who for
over 30 years has led a church that serves the community by doing God's
work here on Earth — by housing the homeless, ministering to the needy,
providing day care services and scholarships and prison ministries, and
reaching out to those suffering from HIV/AIDS.

In my first book, Dreams From My Father, I describe the experience of my
first service at Trinity:

"People began to shout, to rise from their seats and clap and cry out, a
forceful wind carrying the reverend's voice up into the rafters. And in
that single note — hope! — I heard something else: At the foot of that
cross, inside the thousands of churches across the city, I imagined the
stories of ordinary black people merging with the stories of David and
Goliath, Moses and Pharaoh, the Christians in the lion's den, Ezekiel's
field of dry bones. Those stories — of survival and freedom and hope —
became our stories, my story. The blood that spilled was our blood, the
tears our tears, until this black church, on this bright day, seemed
once more a vessel carrying the story of a people into future
generations and into a larger world. Our trials and triumphs became at
once unique and universal, black and more than black. In chronicling our
journey, the stories and songs gave us a meaning to reclaim memories
that we didn't need to feel shame about — memories that all people might
study and cherish, and with which we could start to rebuild."

That has been my experience at Trinity. Like other predominantly black
churches across the country, Trinity embodies the black community in its
entirety — the doctor and the welfare mom, the model student and the
former gang-banger. Like other black churches, Trinity's services are
full of raucous laughter and sometimes bawdy humor. They are full of
dancing and clapping and screaming and shouting that may seem jarring to
the untrained ear. The church contains in full the kindness and cruelty,
the fierce intelligence and the shocking ignorance, the struggles and
successes, the love and, yes, the bitterness and biases that make up the
black experience in America.

And this helps explain, perhaps, my relationship with Reverend Wright.
As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me. He
strengthened my faith, officiated my wedding, and baptized my children.
Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any
ethnic group in derogatory terms, or treat whites with whom he
interacted with anything but courtesy and respect. He contains within
him the contradictions — the good and the bad — of the community that he
has served diligently for so many years.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no
more disown him than I can disown my white grandmother — a woman who
helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman
who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman
who once confessed her fear of black men who passed her by on the
street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic
stereotypes that made me cringe.

These people are a part of me. And they are part of America, this
country that I love.

Some will see this as an attempt to justify or excuse comments that are
simply inexcusable. I can assure you it is not. I suppose the
politically safe thing to do would be to move on from this episode and
just hope that it fades into the woodwork. We can dismiss Reverend
Wright as a crank or a demagogue, just as some have dismissed Geraldine
Ferraro, in the aftermath of her recent statements, as harboring some
deep-seated bias.

But race is an issue that I believe this nation cannot afford to ignore
right now. We would be making the same mistake that Reverend Wright made
in his offending sermons about America — to simplify and stereotype and
amplify the negative to the point that it distorts reality.

The fact is that the comments that have been made and the issues that
have surfaced over the last few weeks reflect the complexities of race
in this country that we've never really worked through — a part of our
union that we have not yet made perfect. And if we walk away now, if we
simply retreat into our respective corners, we will never be able to
come together and solve challenges like health care or education or the
need to find good jobs for every American.

Understanding this reality requires a reminder of how we arrived at this
point. As William Faulkner once wrote, "The past isn't dead and buried.
In fact, it isn't even past." We do not need to recite here the history
of racial injustice in this country. But we do need to remind ourselves
that so many of the disparities that exist between the African-American
community and the larger American community today can be traced directly
to inequalities passed on from an earlier generation that suffered under
the brutal legacy of slavery and Jim Crow.

Segregated schools were and are inferior schools; we still haven't fixed
them, 50 years after Brown v. Board of Education. And the inferior
education they provided, then and now, helps explain the pervasive
achievement gap between today's black and white students.

Legalized discrimination — where blacks were prevented, often through
violence, from owning property, or loans were not granted to
African-American business owners, or black homeowners could not access
FHA mortgages, or blacks were excluded from unions or the police force
or the fire department — meant that black families could not amass any
meaningful wealth to bequeath to future generations. That history helps
explain the wealth and income gap between blacks and whites, and the
concentrated pockets of poverty that persist in so many of today's urban
and rural communities.

A lack of economic opportunity among black men, and the shame and
frustration that came from not being able to provide for one's family
contributed to the erosion of black families — a problem that welfare
policies for many years may have worsened. And the lack of basic
services in so many urban black neighborhoods — parks for kids to play
in, police walking the beat, regular garbage pickup, building code
enforcement — all helped create a cycle of violence, blight and neglect
that continues to haunt us.

This is the reality in which Reverend Wright and other African-Americans
of his generation grew up. They came of age in the late '50s and early
'60s, a time when segregation was still the law of the land and
opportunity was systematically constricted. What's remarkable is not how
many failed in the face of discrimination, but how many men and women
overcame the odds; how many were able to make a way out of no way, for
those like me who would come after them.

For all those who scratched and clawed their way to get a piece of the
American Dream, there were many who didn't make it — those who were
ultimately defeated, in one way or another, by discrimination. That
legacy of defeat was passed on to future generations — those young men
and, increasingly, young women who we see standing on street corners or
languishing in our prisons, without hope or prospects for the future.
Even for those blacks who did make it, questions of race and racism
continue to define their worldview in fundamental ways. For the men and
women of Reverend Wright's generation, the memories of humiliation and
doubt and fear have not gone away; nor has the anger and the bitterness
of those years. That anger may not get expressed in public, in front of
white co-workers or white friends. But it does find voice in the
barbershop or the beauty shop or around the kitchen table. At times,
that anger is exploited by politicians, to gin up votes along racial
lines, or to make up for a politician's own failings.

And occasionally it finds voice in the church on Sunday morning, in the
pulpit and in the pews. The fact that so many people are surprised to
hear that anger in some of Reverend Wright's sermons simply reminds us
of the old truism that the most segregated hour of American life occurs
on Sunday morning. That anger is not always productive; indeed, all too
often it distracts attention from solving real problems; it keeps us
from squarely facing our own complicity within the African-American
community in our condition, and prevents the African-American community
from forging the alliances it needs to bring about real change. But the
anger is real; it is powerful. And to simply wish it away, to condemn it
without understanding its roots, only serves to widen the chasm of
misunderstanding that exists between the races.

In fact, a similar anger exists within segments of the white community.
Most working- and middle-class white Americans don't feel that they have
been particularly privileged by their race. Their experience is the
immigrant experience — as far as they're concerned, no one handed them
anything. They built it from scratch. They've worked hard all their
lives, many times only to see their jobs shipped overseas or their
pensions dumped after a lifetime of labor. They are anxious about their
futures, and they feel their dreams slipping away. And in an era of
stagnant wages and global competition, opportunity comes to be seen as a
zero sum game, in which your dreams come at my expense. So when they are
told to bus their children to a school across town; when they hear an
African-American is getting an advantage in landing a good job or a spot
in a good college because of an injustice that they themselves never
committed; when they're told that their fears about crime in urban
neighborhoods are somehow prejudiced, resentment builds over time.

Like the anger within the black community, these resentments aren't
always expressed in polite company. But they have helped shape the
political landscape for at least a generation. Anger over welfare and
affirmative action helped forge the Reagan Coalition. Politicians
routinely exploited fears of crime for their own electoral ends. Talk
show hosts and conservative commentators built entire careers unmasking
bogus claims of racism while dismissing legitimate discussions of racial
injustice and inequality as mere political correctness or reverse racism.

Just as black anger often proved counterproductive, so have these white
resentments distracted attention from the real culprits of the middle
class squeeze — a corporate culture rife with inside dealing,
questionable accounting practices and short-term greed; a Washington
dominated by lobbyists and special interests; economic policies that
favor the few over the many. And yet, to wish away the resentments of
white Americans, to label them as misguided or even racist, without
recognizing they are grounded in legitimate concerns — this too widens
the racial divide and blocks the path to understanding.

This is where we are right now. It's a racial stalemate we've been stuck
in for years. Contrary to the claims of some of my critics, black and
white, I have never been so naïve as to believe that we can get beyond
our racial divisions in a single election cycle, or with a single
candidacy — particularly a candidacy as imperfect as my own.

But I have asserted a firm conviction — a conviction rooted in my faith
in God and my faith in the American people — that, working together, we
can move beyond some of our old racial wounds, and that in fact we have
no choice if we are to continue on the path of a more perfect union.

For the African-American community, that path means embracing the
burdens of our past without becoming victims of our past. It means
continuing to insist on a full measure of justice in every aspect of
American life. But it also means binding our particular grievances — for
better health care and better schools and better jobs — to the larger
aspirations of all Americans: the white woman struggling to break the
glass ceiling, the white man who has been laid off, the immigrant trying
to feed his family. And it means taking full responsibility for our own
lives — by demanding more from our fathers, and spending more time with
our children, and reading to them, and teaching them that while they may
face challenges and discrimination in their own lives, they must never
succumb to despair or cynicism; they must always believe that they can
write their own destiny.

Ironically, this quintessentially American — and yes, conservative —
notion of self-help found frequent expression in Reverend Wright's
sermons. But what my former pastor too often failed to understand is
that embarking on a program of self-help also requires a belief that
society can change.

The profound mistake of Reverend Wright's sermons is not that he spoke
about racism in our society. It's that he spoke as if our society was
static; as if no progress had been made; as if this country — a country
that has made it possible for one of his own members to run for the
highest office in the land and build a coalition of white and black,
Latino and Asian, rich and poor, young and old — is still irrevocably
bound to a tragic past. But what we know — what we have seen — is that
America can change. That is the true genius of this nation. What we have
already achieved gives us hope — the audacity to hope — for what we can
and must achieve tomorrow.

In the white community, the path to a more perfect union means
acknowledging that what ails the African-American community does not
just exist in the minds of black people; that the legacy of
discrimination — and current incidents of discrimination, while less
overt than in the past — are real and must be addressed, not just with
words, but with deeds, by investing in our schools and our communities;
by enforcing our civil rights laws and ensuring fairness in our criminal
justice system; by providing this generation with ladders of opportunity
that were unavailable for previous generations. It requires all
Americans to realize that your dreams do not have to come at the expense
of my dreams; that investing in the health, welfare and education of
black and brown and white children will ultimately help all of America
prosper.

In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more and nothing less
than what all the world's great religions demand — that we do unto
others as we would have them do unto us. Let us be our brother's keeper,
scripture tells us. Let us be our sister's keeper. Let us find that
common stake we all have in one another, and let our politics reflect
that spirit as well.

For we have a choice in this country. We can accept a politics that
breeds division and conflict and cynicism. We can tackle race only as
spectacle — as we did in the O.J. trial — or in the wake of tragedy — as
we did in the aftermath of Katrina — or as fodder for the nightly news.
We can play Reverend Wright's sermons on every channel, every day and
talk about them from now until the election, and make the only question
in this campaign whether or not the American people think that I somehow
believe or sympathize with his most offensive words. We can pounce on
some gaffe by a Hillary supporter as evidence that she's playing the
race card, or we can speculate on whether white men will all flock to
John McCain in the general election regardless of his policies.

We can do that.

But if we do, I can tell you that in the next election, we'll be talking
about some other distraction. And then another one. And then another
one. And nothing will change.

That is one option. Or, at this moment, in this election, we can come
together and say, "Not this time." This time, we want to talk about the
crumbling schools that are stealing the future of black children and
white children and Asian children and Hispanic children and Native
American children. This time, we want to reject the cynicism that tells
us that these kids can't learn; that those kids who don't look like us
are somebody else's problem. The children of America are not those kids,
they are our kids, and we will not let them fall behind in a 21st
century economy. Not this time.

This time we want to talk about how the lines in the emergency room are
filled with whites and blacks and Hispanics who do not have health care,
who don't have the power on their own to overcome the special interests
in Washington, but who can take them on if we do it together.

This time, we want to talk about the shuttered mills that once provided
a decent life for men and women of every race, and the homes for sale
that once belonged to Americans from every religion, every region, every
walk of life. This time, we want to talk about the fact that the real
problem is not that someone who doesn't look like you might take your
job; it's that the corporation you work for will ship it overseas for
nothing more than a profit.

This time, we want to talk about the men and women of every color and
creed who serve together and fight together and bleed together under the
same proud flag. We want to talk about how to bring them home from a war
that should have never been authorized and should have never been waged.
And we want to talk about how we'll show our patriotism by caring for
them and their families, and giving them the benefits that they have earned.

I would not be running for President if I didn't believe with all my
heart that this is what the vast majority of Americans want for this
country. This union may never be perfect, but generation after
generation has shown that it can always be perfected. And today,
whenever I find myself feeling doubtful or cynical about this
possibility, what gives me the most hope is the next generation — the
young people whose attitudes and beliefs and openness to change have
already made history in this election.

There is one story in particularly that I'd like to leave you with today
— a story I told when I had the great honor of speaking on Dr. King's
birthday at his home church, Ebenezer Baptist, in Atlanta.

There is a young, 23-year-old white woman named Ashley Baia who
organized for our campaign in Florence, S.C. She had been working to
organize a mostly African-American community since the beginning of this
campaign, and one day she was at a roundtable discussion where everyone
went around telling their story and why they were there.

And Ashley said that when she was 9 years old, her mother got cancer.
And because she had to miss days of work, she was let go and lost her
health care. They had to file for bankruptcy, and that's when Ashley
decided that she had to do something to help her mom.

She knew that food was one of their most expensive costs, and so Ashley
convinced her mother that what she really liked and really wanted to eat
more than anything else was mustard and relish sandwiches — because that
was the cheapest way to eat. That's the mind of a 9-year-old.

She did this for a year until her mom got better. So she told everyone
at the roundtable that the reason she joined our campaign was so that
she could help the millions of other children in the country who want
and need to help their parents, too.

Now, Ashley might have made a different choice. Perhaps somebody told
her along the way that the source of her mother's problems were blacks
who were on welfare and too lazy to work, or Hispanics who were coming
into the country illegally. But she didn't. She sought out allies in her
fight against injustice.

Anyway, Ashley finishes her story and then goes around the room and asks
everyone else why they're supporting the campaign. They all have
different stories and different reasons. Many bring up a specific issue.
And finally they come to this elderly black man who's been sitting there
quietly the entire time. And Ashley asks him why he's there. And he does
not bring up a specific issue. He does not say health care or the
economy. He does not say education or the war. He does not say that he
was there because of Barack Obama. He simply says to everyone in the
room, "I am here because of Ashley."

"I'm here because of Ashley." By itself, that single moment of
recognition between that young white girl and that old black man is not
enough. It is not enough to give health care to the sick, or jobs to the
jobless, or education to our children.

But it is where we start. It is where our union grows stronger. And as
so many generations have come to realize over the course of the 221
years since a band of patriots signed that document right here in
Philadelphia, that is where the perfection begins.
Post by John McAdams
Why do you have a bug up your ass on this issue?
I don't understand wny racists think they can create a phony controversy
by saying biracial.
Post by John McAdams
Is it that you somehow believe that white ancestry taints him?
Do you think it's demeaning to be bi-racial?
Some blacks do not like the term.
Sometimes it is used by racists to demean people.

Even in the black community it is controversial.
There is an old song in the ghetto:
If you're white, you's alright
If you's brown stick around
If you's black, get back

Post by John McAdams
-----------------------
2019-05-13 14:21:07 UTC
On 13 May 2019 10:18:41 -0400, Anthony Marsh
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by John McAdams
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by John McAdams
He's having fun with the fact, which he happily admits, that's he's of
mixed race.
Why does this bug you? Are you so politically correct that you think
it denigrates him to say he has white ancestry?
Obama is of mixed race AND Obama is Black. Period.
You are the one who is bugged to absurd extremes.
You're the one who is going bonkers over a simple fact: Obama has
black African ancestry, and white European ancestry.
Obama is bi-racial, and he's happy to say that.
How often does he use the term "bi-rcial"?
I've talked to many black people and some dislike the term and just say
black.
Why do you keep posting massive blocks of text that don't show what
you claim they do.

What you posted (I've deleted it to save bandwidth, but anybody can
find the post I'm responding to) is an Obama campaign statement, a lot
of it discussing the racial firebrand, Rev. Wright.

-----------------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
Ramon F Herrera
2019-05-14 03:12:54 UTC
Post by John McAdams
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by John McAdams
He's having fun with the fact, which he happily admits, that's he's of
mixed race.
Why does this bug you? Are you so politically correct that you think
it denigrates him to say he has white ancestry?
Obama is of mixed race AND Obama is Black. Period.
You are the one who is bugged to absurd extremes.
You're the one who is going bonkers over a simple fact: Obama has
black African ancestry, and white European ancestry.
Obama is bi-racial, and he's happy to say that.
Why do you have a bug up your ass on this issue?
Is it that you somehow believe that white ancestry taints him?
Do you think it's demeaning to be bi-racial?
-----------------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
All the above is true, those are objective facts:

- Obama has black African ancestry, and white European ancestry.

- Obama is bi-racial

- Obama is Black

You are:

.John, prof. McAdams, John McAdams, etc.

Your exercise YOUR CHOICE (something hated by Alt Righties) to tell some
people: "Please call me John". To your students, you may choose SOMETHING
ELSE. During your dating years, you probably had a pet name. Perhaps in
your fraternity they called you "Big John" or whatever.

All designations are valid and YOU are the one that decides which to use
in every context.

BTW: I am darn proud of being WHITE.

This conversation is getting ridiculous.

Oh, one last example: for the purposes of this forum, I may be known as
"JFK Numbers".

-Ramon
JFK Numbers
Anthony Marsh
2019-05-15 01:38:02 UTC
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by John McAdams
He's having fun with the fact, which he happily admits, that's he's of
mixed race.
Why does this bug you??? Are you so politically correct that you think
it denigrates him to say he has white ancestry?
Obama is of mixed race AND Obama is Black. Period.
You are the one who is bugged to absurd extremes.
You're the one who is going bonkers over a simple fact:?? Obama has
black African ancestry, and white European ancestry.
Obama is bi-racial, and he's happy to say that.
Why do you have a bug up your ass on this issue?
Is it that you somehow believe that white ancestry taints him?
Do you think it's demeaning to be bi-racial?
.John
-----------------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
No, not all of the above is true. Don't pander to the racists. Obama ia
NOT Happy to say that he's bi-racial. He never uses that term, as I quoted
in that article. If McAdms is brev enough to post it. And did you notice
that McAdams signs his messages as .John. Please don't ask him why. I
know, because I was there on CompuServe when he started doing it.

BTW, I use my middle name for some things and HAVE to use my first name
for others.
JFK Numbers
BOZ
Ramon I saw a picture of you. Are you categorized as Moreno? I'm curious.
BOZ
Obama is not black. He is brown.
Anthony Marsh
2019-05-15 01:02:26 UTC
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by John McAdams
Post by Ramon F Herrera
[...]
It's up to the person to self-identify.
How would you like it if I called you black?
BOZ
2019-05-15 23:54:02 UTC
Post by Ramon F Herrera
Post by John McAdams
Post by Ramon F Herrera
[...]
Conrad Black identifies as white.

BOZ
The charter is racist?
BOZ
Father Obama was black plus Pink hued Mrs. Obama equals Black. JFK NUMBERS?
Anthony Marsh
2019-05-12 22:55:17 UTC
Post by John McAdams
Post by Ramon F Herrera
[...]
I think Obama was tying yo point out that it's no big deal and it is not
up to racists to tell him what race he is.
Post by John McAdams
Why does this bug you? Are you so politically correct that you think
it denigrates him to say he has white ancestry?
He said nothing bad about that and neither did I.

I am so politically correct that I don't care which race someone chooses
to identify as. I see nothing wrong with HIM saying he is of mixed race.
But it is not up to you or the racists to define him.
Post by John McAdams
.John
-----------------------
2019-05-12 22:56:50 UTC
On 12 May 2019 18:55:17 -0400, Anthony Marsh
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by John McAdams
Why does this bug you? Are you so politically correct that you think
it denigrates him to say he has white ancestry?
He said nothing bad about that and neither did I.
I am so politically correct that I don't care which race someone chooses
to identify as. I see nothing wrong with HIM saying he is of mixed race.
But it is not up to you or the racists to define him.
You are spouting politically correct nonsense, Tony.

The empirical reality, the DNA reality, is that Obama has both white
and black ancestry.

It's really stupid to try to deny that.

.John
-----------------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm
slats
2019-05-13 21:10:24 UTC
Post by John McAdams
On 12 May 2019 18:55:17 -0400, Anthony Marsh
Post by Anthony Marsh
On 11 May 2019 15:32:52 -0400, Ramon F Herrera
Post by Ramon F Herrera
[...]
Pretty sure Obama subscribes to the "one drop" nonsense and would identify
as black on a census form. And marrying a black woman was evidently
something he was determined to do. The irony is that it was white people
who nurtured, protected and guided him all his life, not his vagabond
father.
Anthony Marsh
2019-05-15 01:03:13 UTC
Post by Ramon F Herrera
[...]
Not sure anyone still believes in that.
I think that went out of fashion in the 60s.
That happens a lot in this country.
BOZ
It's called a Freudian slip.
Anthony Marsh
2019-05-12 22:58:04 UTC
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Well, maybe you've never been in the real world. It is called
self-deprecating humor and the speaker never really means that it should
be taken literally.
It's called a Freudian slip.
YOU made a Freudian slip? Why don't you call it a typo instead?
Obama did not make a Freudian slip. He made a joke.
Is that now illegal in this country?
BOZ
2019-05-11 19:34:43 UTC
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Well, maybe you've never been in the real world. It is called
self-deprecating humor and the speaker never really means that it should
be taken literally.
Audacity of Hope "I will stand with the Muslims should the political
winds shift in an ugly direction."
BOZ
2019-05-11 19:35:38 UTC
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Well, maybe you've never been in the real world. It is called
self-deprecating humor and the speaker never really means that it should
be taken literally.
Misleading e-mail: From Audacity of Hope: "I will stand with the Muslims
should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Actual quote from "The Audacity of Hope" [pg. 261]: Of course, not all my
conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the
wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example,
have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI
questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of
security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of
immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific
assurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has
learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War
II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an
ugly direction.
Anthony Marsh
2019-05-12 22:58:34 UTC
When a reporter asked what kind of dog the family planned to get for the
“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic. On the
other hand, our preference would be to get a shelter dog, but, obviously,
a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obama-and-the-future-of-m_b_14271300?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHt0FZf7ZqVBpFLU6nzV1Qt6HtwSmg0XhKiN_Mnj2BQgTmbpwiXo_oKiJf3G-1UlCNqRnltba1CJcerpsPHzS-PLHpLWsW6F3E8UZWc1HjzivZGRAivn0VcACnsi9Gmjhejz8tZOqQfkbYihJrQR53uQpc5UW_OswFAVrY8zeglM
Well, maybe you've never been in the real world. It is called
self-deprecating humor and the speaker never really means that it should
be taken literally.
Misleading e-mail: From Audacity of Hope: "I will stand with the Muslims
Punctuation? Who sent a misleading e-mail to you?
What are trying to point out with that quote?
That you disagree with it?
ugly direction.
BOZ
no other country on Earth is my story even possible. (Barack Obama)
BOZ
2019-05-11 19:36:21 UTC
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/203479-majority-says-obama-is-mixed-race-not-black