USMC Targets for Quals
claviger
2017-06-18 23:09:27 UTC
Hits Count Rifle Qualification Course of Fire

What are the the most important requirements for a USMC marksmanship badge?
A Target D Target B Modified Target
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-6e2251ea8432228e465826d09185f04c-c
bigdog
2017-06-21 14:41:52 UTC
http://www.reveresriders.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/WW2-Targets.jpg
What are the the most important requirements for a USMC marksmanship badge?
A Target D Target B Modified Target
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-6e2251ea8432228e465826d09185f04c-c
Very interesting. A number of years ago I actually questioned Ben Holmes
as to the size of the targets servicemen are required to qualify on but of
course all he wanted to do was play dodgeball so he refused to tell me.
What these show is that when qualifying at 200 and 300 yards, Oswald
needed to hit a circle slightly wider than a man's head to get a top score
and hit a circle slightly wider than a man's torso to get the next highest
score. Oswald's longest shot was at 88 yards and the first two even less.
That would indicated the shooting he did to qualify even at the marksman
level was more demanding than what he needed to do to shoot JFK.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-22 00:45:19 UTC
Post by bigdog
Post by claviger
[...]
Apples and oranges. Oswald trained on an M-1 which has a very flat
trajectory. He could also zero it in and we see that he did on his charts.
You can't zero in the Carcano. It misses high at closer distances. Maybe
if he got very lucky he could hit the broad side of a barn. But he
couldn't hit Walker at only 120 feet away.

Bill Clarke
2017-06-22 23:35:35 UTC
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by bigdog
Post by claviger
[...]
http://www.the-puzzle-palace.com/Whelan81.jpg
1. Why do you continue to reference an article you don't understand?

2. You said, "It misses high at closer distances". This of course is so
many horse apples. I've tried to explain a combat zero to you but it
seems to be over your head so here it is again; you zero at mid-range
(usually 200 yards). If the target is close you aim low, mid-range you aim
at his gut and at extreme range you aim for his head. Works like a charm.

Shooting at Walker and shooting at JFK was, as you say, apples and
oranges.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-24 03:07:06 UTC
Post by Bill Clarke
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by bigdog
Post by claviger
[...]
I am the only one who found it. You didn't know where to find it.
You can't do research.
Post by Bill Clarke
2. You said, "It misses high at closer distances". This of course is so
many horse apples. I've tried to explain a combat zero to you but it
seems to be over your head so here it is again; you zero at mid-range
(usually 200 yards). If the target is close you aim low, mid-range you aim
at his gut and at extreme range you aim for his head. Works like a charm.
Oswald didn't know that.
Have you ever seen the Marine targets he shot?
NO. At 200 yards did he aim for the head? Do you see many holes in the
head? What score would he get for hitting the head?

Post by Bill Clarke
Shooting at Walker and shooting at JFK was, as you say, apples and
oranges.
Both seated targets. Both at ranges closer than the battle zero.