There was an assassination attempt yesterday
2017-06-16 00:59:18 UTC
And McAdams won't let us discuss it.
Maybe because there are lessons to be learned from it similar to the JFK
Assassintion

Steve Scalise Among 4 Shot at Baseball Field; Suspect Is Dead

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR, ADAM GOLDMAN and EMILY COCHRANEJUNE 14, 2017
Continue reading the main story
Share This Page

Share
Tweet
Email
More
Save

U.S. & Politics By BARBARA MARCOLINI, MALACHY BROWNE and SARAH STEIN
KERR 1:38
The Virginia Shooting: The Scene and Reaction
Video
The Virginia Shooting: The Scene and Reaction

Witnesses describe the scene of the shooting that injured Representative
Steve Scalise and others Wednesday morning. President Trump and Senator
Bernie Sanders made statements. By BARBARA MARCOLINI, MALACHY BROWNE and
SARAH STEIN KERR on Publish Date June 14, 2017. Photo by Al Drago/The
New York Times. Watch in Times Video »

embed

ShareTweet

ALEXANDRIA, Va. — A lone gunman who was reportedly distraught over
President Trump’s election opened fire on Republican members of the
congressional baseball team at a practice field in this Washington
suburb on Wednesday, using a rifle to shower the field with bullets that
struck four people, including Steve Scalise, the majority whip of the
House of Representatives.

President Trump, in a televised statement from the White House,
condemned the “very, very brutal assault” and said the gunman had died
after a shootout with the police. Law enforcement authorities identified
him as James T. Hodgkinson, 66, from Belleville, Ill., a suburb of St.
Louis.

Two members of Mr. Scalise’s Capitol Police security detail were wounded
as they exchanged fire with the gunman in what lawmakers described as
several chaotic, terror-filled minutes that turned the baseball practice
into an early-morning nightmare. One was wounded by gunfire and one
suffered other, minor injuries.

Standing at second base, Mr. Scalise was struck in the hip, according to
witnesses, and collapsed as the shots rang out, one after another, from
behind a chain-link fence near the third-base dugout. Witnesses said Mr.
Scalise, of Louisiana, “army crawled” from the infield to the grass as
the shooting continued.

Aides to Mr. Scalise said he had undergone surgery at MedStar Washington
Hospital Center and was in critical condition by midafternoon.
Photo
Steve Scalise, the majority whip of the House of Representatives. Credit
Gabriella Demczuk for The New York Times

Local officers arrived minutes after they received desperate calls for
help, including from those still under siege at the field, the
authorities said. The F.B.I. said it would take the lead in the
investigation, treating it as an assault on a federal officer.

Tim Slater, special agent in charge of the bureau’s Washington field
office, said investigators were “exploring all angles” but could not
comment on a motive. Asked whether the shooting was an assassination
attempt, he said it was “too early in the investigation to say one way
or another.”

The F.B.I. said Mr. Hodgkinson was armed with a handgun and a rifle.
Witnesses described a man with white hair and a beard wielding a long
gun as he stood behind the dugout.

“He was hunting us at that point,” said Representative Mike Bishop,
Republican of Michigan, who was standing at home plate when the shooting
began.

Mr. Bishop said the gunman had seemed to be firing a series of two shots
at a time, a firearms technique known as “double-tapping,” sending off
bullets that kicked up the gravel on the baseball field as they struck
the ground. “There was so much gunfire, you couldn’t get up and run,” he
said. “Pop, pop, pop, pop — it’s a sound I’ll never forget.”
Slide Show
Slide Show|8 Photos
4 Shot at Baseball Field, Including a Republican Congressman
4 Shot at Baseball Field, Including a Republican Congressman

CreditEssdras M Suarez/Zuma Press

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, who was among the lawmakers practicing
for the annual charity baseball game, which is still scheduled to take
place on Thursday, told CNN that “the field was basically a killing
field — it’s really sick and very sad.”

Representative Jeff Duncan of South Carolina, who left the practice just
before shooting, said later that he had encountered a man in the parking
lot — later identified as the gunman — who “asked me if the team
practicing was a Democrat or a Republican team.”

“I told him they were Republicans,” the lawmaker recalled. “He said,
‘O.K., thanks,’ turned around.”

The shooting stunned the capital as it began its workday. Out of
caution, officials quickly put in place a “robust police presence
throughout the Capitol complex,” and the Secret Service added security
around the White House.

Speaker Paul D. Ryan addressed his colleagues in the House chamber
shortly after noon, saying the body was united in its shock and anguish.
“We do not shed our humanity when we enter this chamber,” Mr. Ryan said,
his voice seeming to nearly break at times. “For all the noise and all
the fury, we are one family.”

‘He was hunting us at
that point. There was
so much gunfire, you
couldn’t get up and run.’
Congressman Mike Bishop of Michigan

As the magnitude of the episode became apparent, House leaders canceled
the day’s votes, and Mr. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence both
canceled speeches.

Mr. Trump came to the Diplomatic Reception Room at the White House after
the shooting and said, “We may have our differences, but we do well in
times like these to remember that everyone who serves in our nation’s
capital is here because, above all, they love our country.”

“We can all agree that we are blessed to be Americans, that our children
deserve to grow up in a nation of safety and peace, and that we are
stronger when we are unified, and when we work together for the common
good,” the president said.

Mr. Hodgkinson seemed to be a fervent opponent of Mr. Trump. He signed
an online petition calling for the president to be impeached, posting it
on Facebook with a chilling comment: “It’s time to destroy Trump & co.”

His brother, Michael Hodgkinson, said Mr. Hodgkinson traveled in recent
weeks to Washington to protest. “I know he wasn’t happy with the way
things were going, the election results and stuff,” Mr. Hodgkinson said
in an interview shortly after he received the news on Wednesday. He said
that he had not been close to his brother and that he had not been aware
of why he remained in Washington.
Photo
James T. Hodgkinson Credit via Associated Press

Mr. Hodgkinson also appeared to be have been a fervent fan of Senator
Bernie Sanders, according to a Facebook page with references to the
Vermont senator. A LinkedIn page for James Hodgkinson had a profile
photo showing Mr. Sanders’s famous hair and glasses and the words, “The
Dawn of a New Democracy.”

In a statement Wednesday morning, Mr. Sanders said he had been told the
suspect had volunteered for his presidential campaign. He offered his
“hopes and prayers” for the shooting victims.

“I am sickened by this despicable act,” Mr. Sanders said. “Let me be as
clear as I can be. Violence of any kind is unacceptable in our society,
and I condemn this action in the strongest possible terms. Real change
can only come about through nonviolent action.”

Two of those who suffered injuries were Capitol Police officers assigned
to protect Mr. Scalise, the third-ranking member of the House Republican
leadership team. Officials identified the two officers as Crystal Griner
and David Bailey, both 32. Law enforcement authorities said in early
reports that both officers had been shot, but they later said only one
was wounded by gunfire.

A friend of Zachary Barth, a staff member for Representative Roger
Williams, Republican of Texas, posted a message from Mr. Barth on
Facebook saying: “I got shot this morning at the baseball fields. But I
am in the hospital and ok. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers.”

‘Our lives were saved by
Capitol Police. Had they
not been there, I think it
would have been a massacre.’
Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky

Matt Mika, 38, a former Congressional staff member and the director of
government relations for the Washington office of Tyson Foods, was
wounded in the shooting, according to a spokesman for the company. “Matt
has worked for Tyson Foods for more than six years and we’re deeply
concerned about him,” the spokesman, Gary Mickelson, said in an email.

A friend of Mr. Mika’s said that he had been shot twice in the chest,
and that a bullet went through a lung. The friend said he was in stable
but very serious condition.

Members of the baseball team began arriving early Wednesday morning at
Eugene Simpson Stadium Park, which is nestled among a neighborhood dog
park, the local YMCA, a coffee shop and a grocery store.

It was the last practice before the big game on Thursday — a friendly,
partisan competition that has been played to raise money for charity
during most years since 1909.

By 7:09 a.m., when the first shots rang out, several dozen lawmakers,
members of their staff and a handful of others — many wearing red shirts
with the word “Republicans” on the front — had been practicing hitting,
pitching and catching for more than a half-hour.
Graphic
What Happened at the Shooting at a Congressional Baseball Practice

Five people were shot at a morning practice about five miles from the
Capitol, the police said.
OPEN Graphic

Then bedlam erupted.

With the sound of loud bangs, one after another, people dived for cover,
crouching down by the concrete wall of the dugout. Marty Lavor, an
Alexandria-based photographer and former House staff member, fell on top
of a lawmaker as someone shouted: “Stay down, stay down. Get closer to
the wall!”

Mr. Lavor later found a bullet hole in his car.

Standing along the first base sideline, Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona
crouched near the ground and then helped Representative Mo Brooks of
Alabama treat a congressional aide who had been shot in the leg while in
center field and had managed to stumble into the dugout. Mr. Brooks said
he had used his belt as a tourniquet to help stop the bleeding

Standing near second base, Mr. Scalise had nowhere to hide. Several
lawmakers said they saw him go down — the victim of a bullet to the hip
— and then attempt to pull himself toward the dugout with his hands.
Failing to get very far, Mr. Scalise remained in the field while the
barrage of bullets continued, according to several lawmakers who said
they had been forced to wait until the shooting stopped to reach him.

“If not for the detail who stepped up with basic revolvers, we would’ve
all been dead,” Representative Bishop said.

When the hail of bullets stopped, Mr. Flake and Mr. Brooks made their
way to Mr. Scalise, bringing water for him to drink. Mr. Flake told CNN
he had put pressure on Mr. Scalise’s gunshot wound. He said Mr. Scalise
never lost consciousness.
Newsletter Sign Up
Continue reading the main story
Get the Morning Briefing by Email

What you need to know to start your day, delivered to your inbox Monday
through Friday.
You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New
York Times's products and services.

See Sample Privacy Policy
Opt out or contact us anytime

Mr. Brooks told CNN that security officers were “screaming for
reinforcements” and that “it seemed like forever, but it was probably
shorter than it was.”

The gunshots shattered the quiet morning in the residential
neighborhood. They woke up John Patrick, 40, who lives in a house
directly overlooking the baseball field. “They were attending to
somebody in the outfield, put them on a stretcher and that’s when the
stretcher came to medevac them out,” he said later.

David Miller, 50, was finishing his coffee when he heard the “pop, pop.”
He thought it was from nearby construction until he opened the door of
the building and saw people looking for shelter and heard gunfire. “I
started hollering for them to come into the building,” he said.

Five or six people came inside, at least two people in baseball uniforms
and one with a baseball bat. “They were disheveled,” Mr. Miller said,
“emotionally shaken, covered in dirt.”

Reaction to the shooting poured in quickly as news of the attack
dominated local television broadcasts and cable news programs repeatedly
interviewed witnesses.

Among those who issued statements was Gabrielle Giffords, the former
Arizona congresswoman who survived being shot in the head in 2011. Ms.
Giffords said she was “heartbroken” by the shootings and praised the
police officers who responded quickly at the baseball field.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re a Democrat or a Republican, nor if you’re a
senator or a representative, nor a staffer or a sworn officer,” Ms.
Giffords wrote. “If you serve the institution of Congress, you’re
connected to your colleagues, current and former, by a shared sense of
service to ideals far greater than yourself.”

She said: “This shooting is an attack on all who serve and on all who
participate in our democracy.”
_______________________________

When I first saw the overhead scene on TV it looked like looking down on
Dealey Plaza through the trees. Then one witness said he heard a loud
pop but did not recognize it as a gun shot because it might have been a
steel beam dropped at a nearby construction site.
What I'd like to know is what type of rifle was used and what capacity
magazines he had so that he was able to get off so many shots so
quickly. I assume the Alt-Right here will always be against Gun Control
no matter how many innocent people are killed.
They say they need machine guns to hunt baby deer.

I heard a few reports that Hodgkinson had raged against Trump on social
media. I wonder if he posted here under the alias Wayne Tracker.
BOZ
2017-06-16 23:29:40 UTC
[...]
I am in favor of banning the pressure cooker. It should only be used at
KFC.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-17 17:48:42 UTC
[...]
People have been arrested for owning a pressure cooker.
KFC does not use pressure cookers like that.
To: ***@panix.com
Subject: Re: HOW DID THEY DO IT?
Newsgroups: alt.assassination.jfk
<a9fc7b9b-ce96-498f-965c-***@googlegroups.com>
From: Anthony Marsh <***@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 21:14:45 -0400
Can someone on the conspiracy side tell me how the conspirators planted
the following evidence to frame Oswald?
His rifle on the 6th floor
His grey/off white jacket
The shells on the 6th floor
The rifle was Oswald's and he probably hid it there himself. It was
used by someone else though to shoot out the window at the motorcade.
The shooter left the shells, and Oswald put on the jacket himself.
Chris
Oswald was part of the conspiracy?
It's possible that Oswald's job was to provide the rifle or provide
access to the real shooters and act as the lookout.
How is it that witnesses saw Oswald but did not see the real shooters?
You have no proof that anyone saw Oswald.
Howard Brennan saw Oswald. You can pretend if you want.
Pretend you didn't know Brennan was a self proclaimed conspiracy advocate
BOZ. Pretend he never wrote about the suspicious lone car he saw also. Oh
I don't hold that against him. The point is that Brennan did not see the
shooter shooting and had to be HELPED by the police to identify Oswald.
wait... now his testimony doesn't interest you as much? Hmmm... how
interesting. Pretend the WC didn't have to work around several
inconsistencies in his testimony to make it fit into their final analysis.
Pretend he wasn't an unreliable witness too. And while you're at it,
remind us all what the HSCA did with his testimony...
And DPD notes on the lineup had to be re-done to include Brennan!
Do you think Brennan existed at all or was a myth like the Loch Ness
monster.
I still don't think he was a shooter.
slats
2017-06-16 23:31:29 UTC
And McAdams won't let us discuss it.
Maybe because there are lessons to be learned from it similar to the
JFK Assassintion
You mean like when Oswald turned out to be an unreconstructed leftist, the
culprit became the right?s ?climate of hate? in Dallas? Yes, I've seen
more than one lib commentator in the past 24 hours attempting that trick.
I guess when someone on the left does something heinous or indefensible,
that person is only responding to the hate-signals from the right,
magically wafting through the air. How .. convenient.

---
http://www.avg.com
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-17 17:47:55 UTC
Post by slats
Post by Anthony Marsh
And McAdams won't let us discuss it.
Maybe because there are lessons to be learned from it similar to the
JFK Assassintion
You mean like when Oswald turned out to be an unreconstructed leftist, the
culprit became the right?s ?climate of hate? in Dallas? Yes, I've seen
more than one lib commentator in the past 24 hours attempting that trick.
I guess when someone on the left does something heinous or indefensible,
that person is only responding to the hate-signals from the right,
magically wafting through the air. How .. convenient.
There were lots of suspected villains very early on. One happened to be
the rightwing hate groups after Stevenson was attacked.
Post by slats
---
http://www.avg.com
BOZ
2017-06-17 03:18:14 UTC
[...]
You used the word Gun Control. Do you want to do the controlling or do
you want to be controlled. You are a very confused liberal. Liberalism
used to mean liberty. Liberalism now means control.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-18 18:49:28 UTC
[...]
You seem confused. I am not an advocate of Gun Control.
I am controlled. I want to see rightwing nuts controlled.
I never said I am a Liberal.
I am not even registered as a Democrat. Too conservative for me.
BOZ
You still seem confused. WHAT ARE YOU?
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-19 22:07:18 UTC
[...]
Well, last time I registered I had to choose between several bad
choices. I wanted to register as a Progressive. But they hadn't gotten
enough votes to be on the ballot, so I had to pick the Rainbow Party.
BOZ
2017-06-19 17:04:05 UTC
[...]
THe Democrat Party is as socialist as it gets and you wrote "TOO
CONSERVATIVE FOR ME." WHat are you?
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-20 22:42:45 UTC
[...]
No. The Democratic Party is not Socialist. A Socialist is someone like
Bernie Sanders. I supported him because he was not a Democrat, which is
too conservative for me. That is why Bernie declined to become a Democrat.
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-17 17:51:07 UTC
[...]
Attempted murder of any seated government official is by definition,
assassination. I think you are correct, Anthony. I am just seeing on Fox
that this man had a list of GOP officials. It is small consolation that
this could have been even worse.

In an ironic coincidence, Rep. Scalise rooms in DC with Erik Paulson, who
the rep for my district, and whom I have met. This is very upsetting to
me.

Pamela