Post by claviger
Official Map of Dealey Plaza
Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark District
According to a municipal judge City of Dallas does not own Dealey Plaza.
Therefore the Dallas Police Department has no authority to patrol or issue
citations within the boundaries of Dealey Plaza. Simply put the DPD may
not police this area, make arrests, or conduct investigations. This
prohibition would include the following buildings, sidewalks, and streets
Dealey Plaza is the civic center of Dallas and was known as the “front door”
to the city prior to Kennedy’s arrival in 1963. The presidential motorcade was
driving through the crowd-lined plaza when shots were fired.
it has since become a National Historic Landmark.
Not even this statue of George Bannerman Dealey may be protected by the Dallas Police Department.
According to the Municipal Judge on the day LHO shot the President only
the Dallas County Sheriff's Department had the authority to make arrests
and conduct a criminal investigation.
Dealey Plaza and The Triple Underpass Under Construction — 1935
by Paula Bosse
Historic Dealey Plaza Timeline
November 1841 Dallas founder John Neely Bryan camps on bluff overlooking Trinity River, on site of present-day Dealey Plaza.
March 1842 Dallas founder John Neely Bryan and others construct a log cabin, the first house in Dallas, on site of present-day Dealey Plaza.
1844 First survey of Dallas town lots includes area now encompassed by Dealey Plaza.
December 1934 Work begins on Triple Underpass with razing of buildings.
Sept. 19, 1935 Park Board unanimously votes to name underpass park Dealey
Plaza in honor of Dallas Morning News publisher George Bannerman Dealey.
Jan. 1, 1936 Dallas Morning News announces that Robert E. Lee equestrian
statue, originally planned for Dealey Plaza, will be placed in Oak Lawn
Park instead and that $18,000 in WPA (Works Progress Administration) funds
is being sought to pay for its base.
May 1, 1936 New Triple Underpass dedicated. Final cost: $1 million (of
which the federal government funded half).
August 1936 Dallas City Council officially passes legal authority for
Dealey Plaza over to Park Board, which has been maintaining the site since
the Triple Underpass was completed.
Feb. 18, 1937 Dallas Morning News announces that NYA (National Youth
Administration) beautification project, drafted by Texas Centennial
Exposition chief architect George Dahl, will go ahead at a cost of
$10,000. Plans include construction of two 25 foot high vertical shafts on
either side of Main Street along with two identical 20 foot x 130 foot
reflecting pools alongside Houston Street. Work to be completed by July 1,
Feb. 3, 1940 Dallas Morning News announces that Dallas Park Board is
seeking approval from the WPA (Works Projects Administration) for a
$92,298 beautification project for Dealey Plaza, designed by Kansas City
landscape architects Hare and Hare.
March 10, 1940 Work begins on Hare and Hare's Dealey Plaza beautification
project, funded by the WPA.
July 21, 1940 A photo in the Dallas Morning News shows a concrete pergola
being constructed on one side of Dealey Plaza. The paper announces that an
identical structure will be built on the opposite side of the park and
that twin peristyles will be constructed "behind each of the two present
Nov. 1, 1940 is the projected completion date.
Nov. 14, 1949 A 12 foot high statue of the late Dallas Morning News
publisher George B. Dealey, sculpted by Felix de Weldon at a cost of
$19,000, is dedicated at Dealey Plaza. The 3 ton statue stands on a
granite base inside which a metal box, containing documents "relating to
the life of G. B. Dealey," was placed a few days earlier. Four bronze
bas-reliefs "symbolic of Dealey's life interests" (also the work of de
Weldon) have been erected in a semicircle behind the statue.
A Guide to the History of Dallas, Texas
A Tour of Historic Dealey Plaza