A Municipal Judge could not find this Location
2017-04-19 02:12:30 UTC
Dealey Plaza
February 3, 2009
https://www.flickr.com/photos/exquisitelyboredinnacogdoches/3243016864/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exquisitelyboredinnacogdoches/3243016864/
2017-06-14 18:58:29 UTC
A municipal judge declared this non city property. Wonder who paid for
these large concrete structures?

Cartographic Concepts
Dealy Plaza, November 22, 1963

A Guide to the History of Dallas Texas
Dallas Remembers: The 30th Anniversary
November 22, 1993
http://www.watermelon-kid.com/history/dallas/features/jfk/jfk-30.htm
Map of Dealey Plaza National Historic Landmark District
Site Map

Clues to finding Dealey Plaza

2017-06-15 16:42:32 UTC
A municipal judge declared this non city property. Wonder who paid for
these large concrete structures?
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/fb/bd/45/photo4jpg.jpg
WPA? Federal government.
Cartographic Concepts
Dealy Plaza, November 22, 1963
http://www.mapmanusa.com/images/book-maps/bill-oreilly-killing-kennedy-dealey-plaza.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/4a/45/c2/dealey-plaza.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/ee/57/31/dealey-plaza-national.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/53/1b/c2/mr-dealey-statue.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/53/1b/fc/6th-floor-museum.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/47/0e/f5/photo0jpg.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/09/65/2b/dealey-plaza.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/34/ec/9c/dealey-plaza.jpg
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/7f/b4/84/a-lot-of-history-a-must.jpg
claviger
2017-06-16 02:18:13 UTC
A municipal judge declared this non city property. Wonder who paid for
these large concrete structures?
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/fb/bd/45/photo4jpg.jpg
WPA? Federal government.
On raw land out in the prairie or inside city limits of Dallas, Texas?
Commercial and residential buildings had to be cleared out to make room
for this city park and 3 major streets. It is referred to as a vehicular
park, called The Gateway to the City and The Front Door of Dallas.

Here is the original name for Dealey Plaza:

DEALEY PLAZA PARK – DALLAS TX
https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/dealey-plaza-park-dallas-tx/
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-16 23:34:42 UTC
https://livingnewdeal.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Dealey-Plaza-postcard-Dallas-TX-1024x656.jpg
DEALEY PLAZA PARK – DALLAS TX
https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/dealey-plaza-park-dallas-tx/
I can't remember who, but someone did an excellent Web page about the
history of building Dealey Plaza. Might have been Greg Jaynes.
claviger
2017-06-17 17:44:16 UTC
Tony,

Let me clarify something.

There are two sets of plans of interest regarding Dealey Plaza.

There is the set of prints for creating the plaza itself out of old river
front blocks and buildings. Originally Main, Commerce and Elm streets ran
parallel til they ended. They crossed Houston, Broadway and theoretically
Water streets til they ended at the Trinity river. The east bank of the
Trinity ran approximately parallel to Houston street but was about thirty
yards west of the east side of the triple underpass. Commerce street
originally started again on the west side of the river but was eventually
bridged.

It was the only one of the three to continue west. The river was re-routed
into levees and the Stemmons corridor created in the late 1930's.

I say theoretically Water street because it sort of evolved out of
existence. It was part of John Neely Bryan's original platt but the only
pictures I have ever seen of the area show only railroad tracks at that
location.

The reason for the existence of the triple underpass was due to an
agreement between the City of Dallas and the individual railroad companies
serving Dallas. Each enitity had joint ownership of Union Station and the
tracks leading into and out of the station. They agreed not to have a
grade crossing of the tracks within four miles of the station. Thus the
triple underpass being right at the door step allowed traffic to pass
under the tracks and not cross at grade level.

What I sent you was a page from the set of plans to create the plaza.
There are something like 255 pages of these plans.

The second set of plans of interest are the WPA plans for building the
monuments in the plaza, (pergolas, Zapruders pedestal, pools all those
white structures). This came later. I did not send you a page from the
WPA plans.

Respectfully,
Greg Jaynes
claviger
2017-06-17 17:45:12 UTC
alt.assassination.jfk ›
Re: Dealey Plaza, 1955
12 posts by 5 authors

They are about 5 years apart. The plaza as you know it
wasn't part of the original plan. The original scheme
calling for the general layout and location was a plan
drawn up by a guy named George Kessler. He was a civil
engineer who also drew up the train track arrangement and
Union Station in Kansas City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_Plan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kessler

The Kessler plan existed before FDR administration and the W.P.A.

Kessler actually envisioned the park which became
Dealey Plaza to be built where the terminal annex
building stands. See phamplet entitled Kessler Plan
available to view J. Eric Johnson library in downtown
Dallas, 7th floor Texas Dallas History archives.

The triple underpass has a date stamped on it : 1934
The WPA plaques on DP structures 1938-1940
City of Dallas Park plaque on DP structure : "Erected 1940"

The blueprints themselves are dated but I don't have
them handy. I'm not set up like I used to be. But I
intend to reorganize.

The triple underpass existed before the place was named
Dealey Plaza. There was at least a four year period when
the topology of the plaza was there but before any of the
white W.P.A. structures were there,

Respectfully,
Greg Jaynes
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-18 18:52:30 UTC
alt.assassination.jfk ›
Re: Dealey Plaza, 1955
12 posts by 5 authors
They are about 5 years apart. The plaza as you know it
wasn't part of the original plan. The original scheme
calling for the general layout and location was a plan
drawn up by a guy named George Kessler. He was a civil
engineer who also drew up the train track arrangement and
Union Station in Kansas City.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_Plan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kessler
The Kessler plan existed before FDR administration and the W.P.A.
Nothing wrong with that, but Kessler didn't PAY for it.
Post by claviger
Kessler actually envisioned the park which became
Dealey Plaza to be built where the terminal annex
building stands. See phamplet entitled Kessler Plan
available to view J. Eric Johnson library in downtown
Dallas, 7th floor Texas Dallas History archives.
The triple underpass has a date stamped on it : 1934
The WPA plaques on DP structures 1938-1940
City of Dallas Park plaque on DP structure : "Erected 1940"
The blueprints themselves are dated but I don't have
them handy. I'm not set up like I used to be. But I
intend to reorganize.
Greg gave me a copy of the blueprints and I copied in part of it.
Greg Jaynes
claviger
2017-06-17 03:18:23 UTC
Proof Dealey Plaza does belong to The City of Dallas.

Map of central Dallas c. 1871
Platt of Lands belonging to the Estate of S H Cockrell, dec'd, a part of the John Neely Bryan Survey,
fronting on the Trinity River, Dallas, Texas.

Dallas in 1905

The WPA Dallas Guide and History
FOUNDERS OF DALLAS
https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc28336/m1/4/
claviger
2017-06-16 14:13:19 UTC
Who paid for these renovations?

DEALEY PLAZA
http://www.fountainsource.net/dealey-plaza/

Dealey Plaza is the birthplace of Dallas. Designed by Hare & Hare
Landscape Architects (www.ohhkc.com) and dedicated as a memorial to George
Bannerman Dealey, a civic leader devoted to the advancement of the City of
Dallas. Since its establishment, the park has been a civic gateway to
downtown Dallas from the west. In 1963, Dealey Plaza's identity was
transformed and cast into history as one of the 20th Centuries most
important landmarks;

Phase One of the Dealey Plaza Renovation Project was completed in 2008,
which focused on the two plazas on Houston Street, replacing deteriorated
concrete paving, restoring the stone coping on the fountain basins, and
repairing and restoring the architectural concrete peristyles and pylons.

Phase Two, which was completed prior to the 50th anniversary of the
Kennedy assassination on November 22, 2013 (JFK Library and Museum),
included restoration of the north and south pergolas, restoration of
additional paving and steps, restoration of the fountains, improvements
for accessibility, new interpretive graphics and restoration of the
landscaping across the entire site.

Project Team: GFF Architects (www.gff.com), Studio Outside Landscape
Architects (www.studiooutside.us) and Fountain Source Engineering and
Design, Inc.

Project Awards:

2014 Merit Award | Design – Constructed Public | Texas Chapter ASLA

2014 Gail Thoma Patterson Award | Preservation Dallas
Anthony Marsh
Side Note: Also to bring it into compliance with the ADA.
claviger
2017-06-16 14:14:09 UTC
studioOutside

Dealey Plaza
Dallas, Texas

Dealey Plaza was originally dedicated as a memorial to George Bannerman Dealey, a civic leader devoted to the advancement of the City of Dallas. For 60 years, this park has been a civic gateway to the heart of Dallas from the West; it also commemorates the land on which the City of Dallas and Dallas County were first founded and settled in the 1840s. In 1963, Dealey Plaza's destiny was transformed from humble city gateway and memorial to a world-recognized historical landmark: the tragic site of a fallen President, John F. Kennedy.

For the 50th Anniversary and Memorial ceremony of President John F. Kennedy's assassination, the City of Dallas opened its doors and welcomed thousands of visitors to the hallowed grounds of Dealey Plaza on November 22nd. With the restoration completed, the City of Dallas can solemnly reflect on this public space that will live forever in our national consciousness.

Photography by Arlen Kennedy.

Client: City of Dallas

Project Partner: GFF Architects

Awards:

2014 Merit Award | Design – Constructed Public | Texas Chapter ASLA

2014 Gail Thoma Patterson Award | Preservation Dallas

2002 Merit Award | Landscape Architectural Written Communications | Texas Chapter – A Restoration of History

Photography by Arlen Kennedy. Historical photographs courtesy of the Dallas Times Herald Collection/The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza

http://www.studiooutside.us/dealey-plaza/tfid8pkjcetezot353b9jferihav4s
http://www.studiooutside.us/dealey-plaza/1co89s4p3dko06dop5uqz1960q85jj