Cuban Missile Crisis
2017-06-13 21:30:28 UTC
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962

http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2

http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-14 19:03:32 UTC
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962
http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2
http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
Intereting, claviger. Thank you.

I had been studying in the UK for just a few weeks when the CMC began.
It was frightening from that perspective too.

The Brits seemed to blame it on the US and JFK, claiming that they would
only have 5 minutes before the bombs hit, whereas the US would have 15.
I thought, 'what difference does that make?'

Pamela
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-15 16:39:58 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962
http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2
http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
Intereting, claviger. Thank you.
I had been studying in the UK for just a few weeks when the CMC began.
It was frightening from that perspective too.
The Brits seemed to blame it on the US and JFK, claiming that they would
only have 5 minutes before the bombs hit, whereas the US would have 15.
I thought, 'what difference does that make?'
Pamela
I don't get the point. Can you explain it in more detail?
It used to be that the Brits were so proud of their gun control that
they never worried about terrorism. Now they've learned that terrorism
can strike anywhere at any time. ISIS would blow up the moon just for
fun if they could figure out a way.
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-17 03:31:31 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962
http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2
http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
Intereting, claviger. Thank you.
I had been studying in the UK for just a few weeks when the CMC began.
It was frightening from that perspective too.
The Brits seemed to blame it on the US and JFK, claiming that they would
only have 5 minutes before the bombs hit, whereas the US would have 15.
I thought, 'what difference does that make?'
Pamela
I don't get the point. Can you explain it in more detail?
All I know first-hand is what was said to me. They thought JFK was
reckless.

I did not know the US perspective, nor see JFK's speech, until I went to
the JFK Library.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-18 03:09:14 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962
http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2
http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
Intereting, claviger. Thank you.
I had been studying in the UK for just a few weeks when the CMC began.
It was frightening from that perspective too.
The Brits seemed to blame it on the US and JFK, claiming that they would
only have 5 minutes before the bombs hit, whereas the US would have 15.
I thought, 'what difference does that make?'
Pamela
I don't get the point. Can you explain it in more detail?
All I know first-hand is what was said to me. They thought JFK was
reckless.
No. The Brits did not say that.
Post by j***@gmail.com
I did not know the US perspective, nor see JFK's speech, until I went to
the JFK Library.
Maybe you didn't know that the Russian snuck the missile into CUba with
the US noticing them. Maybe you didn't know that everyone else in the room
said we should bomb CUba immediately except JFK. He found a peaceful way
out. The JCS wanted WWIII.
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-18 23:05:30 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
I did not know the US perspective, nor see JFK's speech, until I went to
the JFK Library.
Maybe you didn't know that the Russian snuck the missile into CUba with
the US noticing them. Maybe you didn't know that everyone else in the room
said we should bomb CUba immediately except JFK. He found a peaceful way
out. The JCS wanted WWIII.
True. I was unaware of all of that at the time. The first I heard of it
was the day the boats were to meet.

Secondly, I was giving you the UK position that was stated to me at the
time. They were extremely upset, and I was American, which I could not
easily hide. So they vetted. What can I say? I did not agree with them,
but I became really uncomfortable with what was taking place.

And, in hindsight, (as I said in another thread), the CMC must have been
Wernher von Braun's worst nightmare. Hitler had WVB imprisoned for saying
at a party that he really didn't want to bomb people, he wanted to use the
rockets to go to the moon. Here were WVB;s rockets, built by his team
from Penemunde, half Soviet, half American, aimed at each other and ready
to annihilate the world.

Pamela
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-19 23:23:18 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Not his rockets. He does not bear any guilt.
Pamela
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-21 14:44:04 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Knowing what I do of WVB, I think you might have had a tough sell with
that thought...
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-22 00:44:28 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Everyone agreed that the Jupiter missiles were useless and JFK had
ordered them out months before the Cuban Missile Crisis.
claviger
2017-06-22 23:24:48 UTC
Everyone agreed that the Jupiter missiles were useless and JFK had
ordered them out months before the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Yes, JFK negotiated a good deal: outdated missiles in Turkey for modern
missiles in Cuba.
bigdog
2017-06-23 20:17:26 UTC
Everyone agreed that the Jupiter missiles were useless and JFK had
ordered them out months before the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Yes, JFK negotiated a good deal: outdated missiles in Turkey for modern
missiles in Cuba.
This illustrates the importance of saving face when engaging in
international diplomacy. Everyone on both sides knew the Jupiters were
obsolete but we were unwilling to remove them on a quid pro quo basis
because it would make us look week in the eyes of the rest of the world.
We had to agree in secret to remove those missiles and do it with enough
of a time lag so we could have plausible deniability that we traded our
missile bases for their. Getting that back channel concession from the US
allowed Khrushchev to save face among the Politburo. We were ready to risk
starting a nuclear war rather than lose face and so were the Soviets. As
much as anything, the CMC was all about saving face.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-24 20:28:32 UTC
Everyone agreed that the Jupiter missiles were useless and JFK had
ordered them out months before the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Yes, JFK negotiated a good deal: outdated missiles in Turkey for modern
missiles in Cuba.
This illustrates the importance of saving face when engaging in
international diplomacy. Everyone on both sides knew the Jupiters were
Exactly. Which is why Kennedy was allowed to wait several months before
pulling out the Jupiters.
Post by bigdog
obsolete but we were unwilling to remove them on a quid pro quo basis
because it would make us look week in the eyes of the rest of the world.
Not forcing JFK to remove the Jupiters would make Khrushchev look weak
and he might be deposed in aCoup d'??tat, and he was. And JFK was
assassinated.
Not we. Not Kennedy. You mean the JCS.
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-19 17:07:30 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962
http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2
http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
Intereting, claviger. Thank you.
I had been studying in the UK for just a few weeks when the CMC began.
It was frightening from that perspective too.
The Brits seemed to blame it on the US and JFK, claiming that they would
only have 5 minutes before the bombs hit, whereas the US would have 15.
I thought, 'what difference does that make?'
Pamela
I don't get the point. Can you explain it in more detail?
All I know first-hand is what was said to me. They thought JFK was
reckless.
No. The Brits did not say that.
Apologies. Did not notice this sentence the first time around.

The Brits did indeed say that. To me. Many of them. I was put at the head
of the demonstration going to the US Consulate. It was not a fun time for
me.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-20 22:40:36 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
[...]
I'd like to see any quotes from the Brits saying that JFK was reckless.
bigdog
2017-06-18 23:15:37 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962
http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2
http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
Intereting, claviger. Thank you.
I had been studying in the UK for just a few weeks when the CMC began.
It was frightening from that perspective too.
The Brits seemed to blame it on the US and JFK, claiming that they would
only have 5 minutes before the bombs hit, whereas the US would have 15.
I thought, 'what difference does that make?'
Once the Cuban missiles became operational, our early warning would be
reduced from 15 minutes to 30 seconds which was one of the primary reasons
we could not allow that to happen. That could be the difference between
getting to a fallout shelter or not. It could be the difference between
getting the CIC evacuated before the missiles struck.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-19 23:22:27 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962
http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2
http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
Intereting, claviger. Thank you.
I had been studying in the UK for just a few weeks when the CMC began.
It was frightening from that perspective too.
The Brits seemed to blame it on the US and JFK, claiming that they would
only have 5 minutes before the bombs hit, whereas the US would have 15.
I thought, 'what difference does that make?'
Once the Cuban missiles became operational, our early warning would be
reduced from 15 minutes to 30 seconds which was one of the primary reasons
we could not allow that to happen. That could be the difference between
getting to a fallout shelter or not. It could be the difference between
getting the CIC evacuated before the missiles struck.
Which is why it was so important that we had the double agent Penkovsy. He
could tell us that the missiles would not be operational until 2 days
later, which gave JFK time to find a peaceful solution. Everyone else was
urging war.
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-21 14:44:26 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
[...]
That was helpful in getting JFK out of a tough position. I agree that he
did a good job of that. However, his handling of BOP, which led to the
missiles being put in Cuba to begin with, is a different story imo.
bigdog
2017-06-21 22:04:01 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
[...]
His indecision led to the fiasco that became the BOP. He needed to either
fully commit to the operation and be ready to provide air cover or he
should have called it off. His half-hearted approval of it was what made
it a disaster.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-22 19:42:29 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
[...]
WHat indecision? You don't know WTF you are babbling about. JFK told them
at the start that he would not allow US forces to be used. The CIA was
sure he'd have to cave in when their poorly run operation failed. But he
held firm.

You may be perfectly correct about the Bay of Pigs failure leading
directly to the Cuban Missile Crisis, but you can't put the blame on JFK.
The blame lies strictly on the CIA.
Post by bigdog
fully commit to the operation and be ready to provide air cover or he
should have called it off. His half-hearted approval of it was what made
it a disaster.
He did provide air cover. Why can't you just tell the truth? When almost
all the exiles B-16s were shot down, JFK ordered the Essex to send 4 US
unmarked jets to protect the remaining B-26 raids. Just one ex-Marine
named Ned who had not even graduated from high school screwed up the
rendezvous because he didn't understand the difference in time zones and
the rest of the exiles B-26s were shot down by Castro's planes that the
CIA did not even know about.
OHLeeRedux
Pot, meet kettle.
Anthony Marsh
Always attack. Never admit any fact. CIA 101.
OHLeeRedux
2017-06-24 23:40:02 UTC
Post by OHLeeRedux
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
[...]

Says the King of Alternative Facts.

Anthony Marsh
2017-06-22 00:44:16 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
[...]
Well, I hate to bore you, but do you understand WHY JFK modified the Nixon
plan which was excellent and would have worked?

Latin America was getting fed up with us Gringos interfering in their
countries and JFK wanted a quieter operation so that he could Plausibly
Deny that the US was behind it. He could say the Cuban exiles did it all
on their own. This introduced a major flaw which doomed it. Air Cover. The
CIA provided the bombers, but Fletcher Prouty screwed up and bought the
wrong model of B-26. Castro's B-26s had the plexiglass nose and Prouty
bought the planes that the CIA had used in the Congo which had the opaque
nose. The reporters noticed the difference.

http://www.novelguide.com/reportessay/history/american-history/bay-pigs-invasion

Plus, Castro knew all the details about the invasion weeks before.
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-21 14:45:01 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
Cuban Missile Crisis October 16-28, 1962
http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/tagged/1962/page/2
http://www.mapmanusa.com/cci-killing-kennedy-2.html
Intereting, claviger. Thank you.
I had been studying in the UK for just a few weeks when the CMC began.
It was frightening from that perspective too.
The Brits seemed to blame it on the US and JFK, claiming that they would
only have 5 minutes before the bombs hit, whereas the US would have 15.
I thought, 'what difference does that make?'
Once the Cuban missiles became operational, our early warning would be
reduced from 15 minutes to 30 seconds which was one of the primary reasons
we could not allow that to happen. That could be the difference between
getting to a fallout shelter or not. It could be the difference between
getting the CIC evacuated before the missiles struck.
I think you're right. It's just that the students who were demonstrating
that day did not know any of that, and seemed to think their fury at the
US and JFK was justified. Their antipathy came as a shock to me.
Anthony Marsh
Demonstrating WHERE? On what date? SHow me.
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-23 16:02:18 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by bigdog
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
[...]
The day the boats met. Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. They marched from around
the George IV bridge up to the Consulate around lunchtime.
Anthony Marsh
2017-06-24 14:00:34 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by Anthony Marsh
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by bigdog
Post by j***@gmail.com
Post by claviger
[...]
DATE. I'm not asking you for a date, I know you're a married woman. I
want to know the exact date you are talking about.
Maybe there was a newspaper article about it with pictures.
Did they carry signs? What did the signs say?